Intent to Experiment: ServiceWorker static routing API

Shunya Shishido

Jul 25, 2023, 11:44:11 PM7/25/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

yyana...@google.comsisid...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/yoshisatoyanagisawa/service-worker-static-routing-api

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/pull/1686

Summary

This API allows developers to configure the routing, and allows them to offload simple things ServiceWorkers do. If the condition matches, the navigation happens without starting ServiceWorkers or executing JavaScript, which allows web pages to avoid performance penalties due to ServiceWorker interceptions.

Blink component

Blink>ServiceWorker

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/828)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/206)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/issues/1373) We see many positive signals and feedback from developers on the Github issue and other places (e.g. https://jakearchibald.com/2019/service-worker-declarative-router/#disqus_thread). Also, we have several partners lined up.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

The purpose of the experiment and the associated Origin Trial is to gather data on whether this has estimated performance upsides or not. Also, we welcome any feedback, API surface proposals, and suggestions for additional scenarios that this API should support.

Ongoing technical constraints

N/A

Debuggability

The registered router rules are visible via chrome://serviceworker-internals. We’re also considering showing the same info in DevTools. crbug.com/1467701

Yes

Yes

Flag name on chrome://flags

#service-worker-static-router

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1371756

Launch bug

https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4261120

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last121
OriginTrial desktop first116
OriginTrial Android last121
OriginTrial Android first116
OriginTrial webView last121
OriginTrial webView first116

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5185352976826368

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/fyvsde2ay2A/m/RH9E8hB0AgAJ

Chris Harrelson

Jul 26, 2023, 12:10:04 PM7/26/23
to Shunya Shishido, blink-dev
LGTM!

Alex Russell

Jul 26, 2023, 6:21:36 PM7/26/23
to blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev, Shunya Shishido
Excited to see this moving forward!

On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 9:10:04 AM UTC-7 Chris Harrelson wrote:
LGTM!