Intent to Experiment: Android Platform-Provided Trust Tokens in the Trust Token API Origin Trial

David Van Cleve

Feb 2, 2021, 1:41:34 PM2/2/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

dav...@chromium.org, privacy-s...@chromium.org

Spec

We’re putting the final touches on a draft spec for the Trust Token API writ large, and adding the functionality covered in this intent would involve a small delta relative to that draft.

Design doc

Chromium Design Doc: Platform-Provided Trust Tokens

Summary

In M89, we’ll be releasing an update to the Chrome functionality covered by the Trust Tokens origin trial, providing two distinct additional components:

  1. The “Platform-Provided Trust Tokens” expansion to the Trust Token API’s configuration surface, allowing issuing websites to request that browsers attempt to execute corresponding Trust Tokens operations against the platform environment the browser is operating in: for instance, via some kind of system API or IPC to a system service.

  2. A concrete Chrome implementation routing platform-provided trust token issuance requests with domain https://attestation.android.com to a prototype Android subsystem issuing tokens.
    This single-purpose Chrome implementation is in lieu of a generic mechanism for discovering arbitrary device-local providers capable of satisfying platform-provided trust token issuance requests, which is future work.

Link to “Intent to Prototype” blink-dev discussion: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/SlLdc64lvpM

Goals for experimentation

Just like for standard “web-issued” trust tokens, we’d like to understand the value that tokens incorporating on-device state provide to anti-spam and -abuse systems. (More in the design doc’s metrics plan.) We’ll also evaluate the feature’s performance characteristics relative to web-issued trust tokens.

Experimental timeline: This change will be available in M89 and shares the Trust Tokens origin trial’s end date (ending in M91).

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

We don’t expect developers to develop a production reliance on tokens’ embedded information during this origin trial, because trust tokens are harder to use and contain far less information than third-party cookies, a currently available web feature (the benefit being that trust tokens are much better for privacy). Further, since Trust Tokens is independently gated by a base::Feature, origin trial participants still see the API unavailable for a substantial majority of their users.

Debuggability

Manually activating the feature: Chromium >= 89 gains a new dropdown option under the Trust Token API chrome://flags flag. Choose the "Enabled with platform-provided trust token issuance" option to activate the new functionality covered by this intent.

Client-side view of operations’ results: For Trust Tokens in general, we’re providing debuggability during its origin trial by exposing a rich event history through Chromium’s NetLog system. We’ve updated this NetLog support with specific event outcomes related to locally-delegated issuance operations. We’re also working on adding DevTools support for Trust Tokens; as of writing, the Application panel provides visibility into the results of Trust Tokens issuance operations.

Interpreting tokens: We’ll shortly be releasing a guide describing how to map obtained https://attestation.android.com tokens’ contents (more specifically, the corresponding redemption records’ body.metadata.public fields’ values) to their meanings; we’ll update this thread when we do.

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

No.

The core of the logic added---for noticing that particular token operations should be passed to the OS---is platform-independent, but it’s necessary to have platform-specific branching at the actual operating system interface; the (trial) Chrome integration with https://attestation.android.com tokens is Android-specific. We’re also working on generalizing the feature support from just Chrome to Chrome and Android WebView; this won’t make M89, but it might be available for the second and third releases of the origin trial, M90 and M91.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard: https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5699436254593024

Alex Russell

Feb 4, 2021, 3:20:53 PM2/4/21
to blink-dev, David Van Cleve
Hey David,

For the avoidance of confusion, if approved, will this experiment run under the existing OT for Trust Tokens, potentially extending that trial? Or is this being proposed as a separate OT w/ a different timeline? That is, will a developer sign up for a new key to use this, or will their old keys enable this new feature?

Regards

David Van Cleve

Feb 4, 2021, 4:04:08 PM2/4/21
to Alex Russell, blink-dev
Hi Alex, thanks for the question. This is an additive backwards-compatible change to the functionality covered in the existing origin trial and we don't plan on adding configuring a new trial; the existing tokens would continue to work.

Best,

David

David Van Cleve

Feb 4, 2021, 4:04:50 PM2/4/21
to Alex Russell, blink-dev
Sorry, just noticed your second question about timing. The existing trial is slated to run through M91 (as its last release, so that M92 is the first release after the end). This seems like enough time to not need to request an extension.

Alex Russell

Feb 4, 2021, 4:05:55 PM2/4/21
to blink-dev, David Van Cleve, blink-dev, Alex Russell
Thanks for all the context.

LGTM.

Nikita Kurtin

Jul 12, 2021, 11:05:17 AM7/12/21
to blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, dav...@chromium.org, blink-dev
Hello,

The given domain `attestation.android.com` is not available.

Is there any other domain which one can use for testing?

Thank you

David Van Cleve

Jul 13, 2021, 7:16:34 PM7/13/21
to blink-dev, Nikita Kurtin, Alex Russell, David Van Cleve, blink-dev
Hi Nikita, thanks for writing. Could you please file a ticket at https://crbug.com ("New Issue") with repro steps? Please post the bug link here once you've filed, and I'll be happy to help investigate so we can figure out what's going wrong. Thanks!