Intent to Extend Experiment: Region Capture

Elad Alon

Mar 21, 2022, 3:43:45 PM3/21/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

elad...@chromium.orgmfo...@chromium.orgjop...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-region/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-region/

Summary

We introduce a performant and robust API for cropping a self-capture video track. (Recall that applications may *already* video-capture the tab in which the application is run using getDisplayMedia(). Using our new Region Capture, such an application may now *crop* that track and remove some content from it; typically before sharing it remotely.)

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/621)

WebKit: No signal (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-March/032157.html)

Web developers: Strongly positive This work saw strong support from Web developers inside of Google (Meet, Docs, Slides). Public statements of support coming.

Other signals:

Ergonomics

N/A

Activation

Unchallenging to use.

Security

This is a mechanism by which an application purposefully strips away information which it already has access to (via pre-existing mechanisms such as getDisplayMedia).

WebView Application Risks

Goals for experimentation

Evaluate the usefulness of the feature and gather Web-developer feedback about how it may improve.

Reason this experiment is being extended

  • Continue soliciting feedback from developers while getting ready to ship.
  • Partners have invested significantly in this experimental API. Out of consideration for them, when we eventually request to ship, we will request gapless shipping. This implies extending the experiment up to the point of shipping. (Note that an intent-to-ship will also be sent today.)
  • We therefore request extending by the usual 3 milestones - so up to and including m104. However, we hope this will be shipped before the extended period elapses.

Debuggability

-

No

Supported on all desktop platforms, but not on mobile platforms, as the prerequisite API of getDisplayMedia is currently only available on desktop.

No

Flag name

RegionCapture

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1247761

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1168076

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last101
OriginTrial desktop first98

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5712447794053120

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/dib14W1B0Xc
Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/yFUX0KfuUlo

Elad Alon

Mar 21, 2022, 3:57:50 PM3/21/22
to blink-dev, Elad Alon
Prior to pressing "send" I neglected to add the following clarification over the auto-generated content:
TAG was positive: "Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we are happy to see this proposal move forward."
They did suggest a change of name (Region Capture -> Tab Region Capture), but that does not affect the API. This proposal to refine the name will be brought up with the WG.

Yoav Weiss

Mar 23, 2022, 2:04:43 AM3/23/22
to blink-dev, Elad Alon
Just to make sure I understand correctly: This request is to extend the OT by a single milestone, to enable partners to continue experimenting while the I2S is being discussed?

Yoav Weiss

Chris Harrelson

Mar 30, 2022, 11:46:58 AM3/30/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Elad Alon