Intent to Prototype: Add support for CSS properties "overflow: clip" and "overflow-clip-margin"

Scott Violet

Aug 27, 2020, 5:01:17 PM8/27/20
to blink-dev

Contact emails

s...@google.com

Explainer

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#valdef-overflow-clip

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#valdef-overflow-clip

Design docs

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#valdef-overflow-clip

TAG review

Summary

The CSS working draft documents these here: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#valdef-overflow-clip .

Motivation

Part of the CSS working draft, and Firefox is shipping it soon: https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.platform/c/7oQm8PC0aU0 .

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

I'm not aware of any risks other than not being fully approved by W3C.

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping (https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.platform/c/7oQm8PC0aU0) I marked this shipping, but Firefox is in the intent-to-ship phase.

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Ergonomics

Not aware of any.

Activation

Not aware of any.

Security

Not aware of any.

Debuggability

Only support needed is to surface the new value and property.

Yes Implementation is not platform specific.

No These tests exercise this code path and are currently disabled. external/wpt/css/css-overflow/clip-001.html external/wpt/css/css-overflow/dynamic-visible-to-clip-001.html external/wpt/css/css-overflow/overflow-body-propagation-007.html external/wpt/css/css-overflow/overflow-body-propagation-008.html external/wpt/css/css-overflow/overflow-body-propagation-009.html More tests will be added.

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5638444178997248

Philip Rogers

Aug 27, 2020, 5:30:53 PM8/27/20
to Scott Violet, blink-dev
The fact that "overflow: hidden" can scroll leads to tricky issues. We hit this recently for an optimization on chat.google.com and had trouble working around it (b/159037769#comment22, similar to https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/865). Needless to say, I'm looking forward to this feature.

Emilio Cobos Álvarez

Aug 27, 2020, 5:43:46 PM8/27/20
to Scott Violet, blink-dev
On 8/27/20 10:53 PM, 'Scott Violet' via blink-dev wrote:

[...]

Two notes on this:

  • Gecko has shipped for a long while overflow: -moz-hidden-unscrollable, which behaves like overflow: clip on both axis (overflow: clip allows you to clip in one axis only).
  • We don't implement overflow-clip-margin. Though I suspect it won't be hard to implement.