Intent to Extend Origin Trial: QuicTransport

Yutaka Hirano

Sep 25, 2020, 5:42:08 AM9/25/20
to blink-dev
yhi...@chromium.org,vas...@chromium.org https://github.com/WICG/web-transport/blob/master/explainer.md Specification: https://wicg.github.io/web-transport/#web-transport https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UgviRBnZkMUq4OKcsAJvIQFX6UCXeCbOtX_wMgwD_es/edit https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/389 QuicTransport is an API that allows Web applications to connect directly to remote servers using QUIC. It is a part of the WebTransport framework; Http3Transport and FallbackTransport are not covered by this enhancement. To see whether the API (and the implementation) is useful in various circumstances. Our partners want to evaluate this API on various network circumstances (i.e., lab environments are not enough) to see its effectiveness. We also expect feedback for performance. M84-M88

Reason this experiment is being extended

We want to extend this experiment because our partners want to continue experimenting with this API furthur. Also, WebCodecs started their origin trial and we expect it is useful to be able to do experiments involving both APIs.

None Printing an error message with the reason when the opening handshake fails. We're planning the following but they are not available during the origin-trial period. The current plan is to show outgoing QuicTransport connections in the “Network” section of DevTools, the same place where WebSocket connections are shown. Unlike WebSockets, we do not intend to show the actual contents of the QuicTransport sessions, thus avoiding the performance decrease that would cause. Just like with regular HTTP/3-based QUIC traffic, the detailed information about the connection can be obtained via chrome://net-export interface. Yes No We have browser tests, but we are going to port them to WPT shortly. https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4854144902889472

Chris Harrelson

Sep 25, 2020, 12:37:22 PM9/25/20
to Yutaka Hirano, blink-dev
LGTM

Can you give a summary of OT feedback so far?

Yutaka Hirano

Sep 28, 2020, 4:27:15 AM9/28/20
to Chris Harrelson, blink-dev