Intent to Experiment: Secure Payment Confirmation - Opt-Out Support

Rouslan Solomakhin

Jun 6, 2022, 11:07:25 AM6/6/22
to blink-dev
Contact emails
smcg...@chromium.org, rou...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/issues/172

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/secure-payment-confirmation

Summary
Adds an 'opt-out' flow to Secure Payment Confirmation. When the (optional) input flag is set, the SPC UXes will render an 'opt-out' link of some sort that the user can interact with to indicate to the relying party that they wish to be opted out.

Blink component
Blink>Payments

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility
Gecko: No signal
WebKit: No signal
Web developers: Positive. The feature is proposed by web developers.

Ergonomics
SPC feature is a combination of WebAuthn and PaymentRequest APIs.

Activation

To take advantage of this feature, developers have to specify a new optional API parameter `showOptOut: true`.

Debuggability

Normal devtools javascript debugging capabilities should suffice.

No. SPC is currently launched only on Mac and Windows. This opt-out feature also exists only on Mac and Windows.

No

Flag name
--enable-blink-features=SecurePaymentConfirmationOptOut

Requires code in //chrome?
True

Tracking bug
https://crbug.com/1325854

Launch bug
https://crbug.com/1329512

Estimated milestones
OriginTrial desktop last106
OriginTrial desktop first104
DevTrial on desktop104

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5133415903920128

Links to previous Intent discussions
Intent to prototype.

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Mike Taylor

Jun 6, 2022, 11:09:18 AM6/6/22
to Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev
LGTM to experiment from M104 to M106.

Stephen McGruer

Jul 11, 2022, 9:31:56 AM7/11/22
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin
Hi Blink OWNERS,

We are requesting permission to extend this Origin Trial until M109 (inclusive) instead of M106. We have a partner that is excited to try this feature out, but has told us that the M104-M106 timeline is too tight. Given the guidance is that "An initial origin trial for a feature may only run for 6 milestones of Chromium", we would like to use the full 6 milestones allowed to give partners the most flexibility.

I am assuming I need one (re)LGTM for this change, please :)

Thanks,
Stephen

Yoav Weiss

Jul 11, 2022, 9:33:31 AM7/11/22
to Stephen McGruer, blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Rouslan Solomakhin
LGTM to extend experimentation till M109