Intent to Ship: Transitions on specified discrete properties

Joey Arhar

Mar 15, 2023, 4:30:41 PM3/15/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

fla...@chromium.orgjar...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4441#issuecomment-1329749962

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/8520

Summary

Allows transitions of discrete properties to be started on properties explicitly listed in the transition-property list. These transitions run using the same logic as an animation on those properties performing a flip at 50% by default but can be customized through the use of the transitionstart event and web-animations-1 APIs for modifying transition animations.

Blink component

Blink>Animation

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This is unlikely to have a big compatibility risk since the transition-property: all keyword does not include discrete properties. This will only affect sites which have explicitly listed discrete properties in transition-property. However given this used to be unsupported, it is unlikely to have been specified on most sites. This will also now be doing what the developer requested.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Ergonomics

This will be used in tandem with the popover attribute and CSSDisplayAnimation. This feature will not make it hard for chrome to maintain good performance.

Activation

This will not be hard for developers to use immediately.

Security

This does not do anything that the developer could not have set with their own stylesheets or script and shouldn't have any risks.

WebView application risks

This is not high risk for WebView, but is controlled by a base::Feature anyway.

Debuggability

This feature would be consistent with existing CSS transitions, showing up the dev tools animation timeline and generating transition events. No new interfaces should be needed.

Yes

Yes

Flag name

CSSTransitionDiscrete

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1399631

Measurement

This feature does not have any UseCounters.

Availability expectation

I'm not sure when this will be implemented in safari and firefox. I don't think that they have started implementing this yet, but we only very recently got this resolved in CSSWG.

Adoption expectation

This will be the best practice for animating the entry and exit if dialogs and popovers immediately.

Adoption plan

I don't have an adoption plan.

Non-OSS dependencies

Does the feature depend on any code or APIs outside the Chromium open source repository and its open-source dependencies to function?

This feature does not depend on anything outside of chromium.

Sample links

https://output.jsbin.com/buquher/quiet

Estimated milestones

M114

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

This change has been specced and I don't think any more changes to the spec will happen.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5071230636392448

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAJh39TMR_5Tz3OHKo16aB3h6vqLKZBaHt3rh%2Bse454y-hT%2B1-A%40mail.gmail.com

Joey Arhar

Mar 15, 2023, 6:10:53 PM3/15/23
to blink-dev

Rick Byers

Mar 22, 2023, 11:56:33 AM3/22/23
to Joey Arhar, blink-dev
We discussed this in the API owners meeting today. Since position requests were just filed, we'd like to give this another week to see if anyone has any feedback. But otherwise we're excited to see this ship.

Rick

Alex Russell

Apr 5, 2023, 11:39:29 AM4/5/23
to blink-dev, Rick Byers, blink-dev, Joey Arhar
Thanks everyone for adding an Explainer, etc. I'm a little worried that this is another feature that skimped on developer engagement (Explainers) and review (TAG) until I2S. They both came very late, and if the feature itself wasn't seemingly landed as a closed spec PR, I'd be blocking this for another few weeks/months until TAG had a chance to properly discuss.

Let's not do this again?

Regardless, LGTM1.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 8:56:33 AM UTC-7 Rick Byers wrote:
We discussed this in the API owners meeting today. Since position requests were just filed, we'd like to give this another week to see if anyone has any feedback. But otherwise we're excited to see this ship.

Rick

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 6:10 PM Joey Arhar <jar...@chromium.org> wrote:

Daniel Bratell

Apr 5, 2023, 11:40:20 AM4/5/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, Rick Byers, Joey Arhar

LGTM2

/Daniel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c596fc81-9a93-4364-bd31-469624023a20n%40chromium.org.

Rick Byers

Apr 5, 2023, 11:49:12 AM4/5/23
to Daniel Bratell, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Joey Arhar
LGTM3

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 11:40 AM Daniel Bratell <brat...@gmail.com> wrote:

LGTM2

/Daniel

On 2023-04-05 17:39, Alex Russell wrote:
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAK6btw%2BzRSkwmCxUP0atTCXnVr2J8_dDYaaqn5UCfbdTOE5S%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

Joey Arhar

Jul 27, 2023, 8:58:01 PM7/27/23
to Rick Byers, Daniel Bratell, Alex Russell, blink-dev
FYI: due to compat issues I encountered while launching this feature, we decided to create a CSS property to opt-in to the new behavior. It was resolved by the CSSWG here: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/8857

Mike Taylor

Jul 28, 2023, 12:36:55 PM7/28/23
to Joey Arhar, Rick Byers, Daniel Bratell, Alex Russell, blink-dev

Thanks for the heads up.

Mind sharing some links to the compat issues?

Joey Arhar

Jul 28, 2023, 1:12:31 PM7/28/23
to Mike Taylor, Rick Byers, Daniel Bratell, Alex Russell, blink-dev
Here is a compat issue that was filed: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1439802
I did some further compat investigation which Rob summarized here: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/8857#issue-1717746858