Increased OT limit request for Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs

John Delaney

Nov 17, 2022, 2:56:34 PM11/17/22
to blink-dev, be...@google.com
Greetings.

We would like to request an expansion of the 0.5% page load threshold to 5% for the Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs experiment for all APIs contained in the unified origin trial including: Topics, FLEDGE, Fenced Frames, Attribution Reporting, Shared Storage, and Private Aggregation. This is not a request to expand user traffic but instead a request to extend the page load threshold to continue our current experiment.

We are sending a single intent for the extension because the rationale is shared among each of the APIs.

Contact emails
john...@chromium.org, jka...@chromium.org, paulj...@chromium.org

Explainer
Attribution Reporting: https://github.com/WICG/attribution-reporting-api/blob/main/EVENT.md
Fenced Frames: https://github.com/WICG/fenced-frame/tree/master/explainer
FLEDGE: https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/master/FLEDGE.md
Private Aggregation: https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/private-aggregation-api
Shared Storage: https://github.com/WICG/shared-storage
Topics API: https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/topics/blob/main/README.md

Summary
A collection of APIs to facilitate advertising: Attribution Reporting, Fenced Frames, FLEDGE, Private Aggregation, Shared Storage and Topics.

Link to “Intent to Prototype” blink-dev discussion
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/7B0ldtZR_68/GjLBu0n4DgAJ

Link to “Intent to Experiment” blink-dev discussion
Attribution Reporting: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/jEnNpideO1Y/m/nlEDdjmnCgAJ
Fenced Frames: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/y6G3cvKXjlg/m/DSNrBtxyAgAJ
FLEDGE:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/0VmMSsDWsFg/m/_0T5qleqCgAJ
Private Aggregation:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/576sXtXNeCA/m/mGBpw14WBQAJ
Shared Storage: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/jDx8z5a6ovk/m/H6w1UO-uBAAJ
Topics API: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/oTwd6VwCwqs/m/jPkW3T-mCgAJ

Goals for experimentation
Unchanged.

Experimental timeline
The experiment is running from Chrome 101 through 110. We previously requested an extension here. If additional testing time is needed we will request an additional extension.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?
None. The unified origin trial is only available for a subset of users, requiring participants to perform feature detection to use the APIs. We do not expect that the traffic exception will increase the risk of this experiment, as we are actively engaged with testers and updating APIs frequently and the primary purpose of the expansion is to allow additional testers to experiment with a broader range of use-cases.

Reason this experiment is being expanded
The Privacy Sandbox APIs are currently running up against the 0.5% of page loads OT limit, even with a restricted limited set of initial testers. We expect that the APIs will benefit greatly from feedback from a larger, broader set of testers and that additional testers will begin participating in the origin trial in the coming weeks and months.  As such, we are requesting an expansion of the experiment to 5% of page loads for each Privacy Sandbox API.

Ongoing technical constraints
Please see each API’s initial Intent to Experiment.

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?
Please see each API’s initial Intent to Experiment.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard
Attribution Reporting: https://chromestatus.com/feature/6412002824028160
Fenced Frames: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5699388062040064
FLEDGE: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5733583115255808
Private Aggregation: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5743412790689792

Yoav Weiss

Nov 17, 2022, 5:43:41 PM11/17/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev, be...@google.com
LGTM1 to expand the page load percentage to 5%

You'd need 3 LGTMs, as this is a request for an OT exception.

Mike Taylor

Nov 18, 2022, 10:09:40 AM11/18/22
to Yoav Weiss, John Delaney, blink-dev, be...@google.com

Chris Harrelson