Intent to Ship: CSS <image> Syntax for registered Custom Properties

Rune Lillesveen

Oct 4, 2023, 5:09:21 AM10/4/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

fut...@chromium.organd...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://drafts.css-houdini.org/css-properties-values-api-1/#syntax-strings

Summary

Supports using the <image> syntax for custom properties registered with @property or registerProperty(). The <image> syntax can be used to restrict values of the custom property to url() values and generated images like gradients.

This syntax was initially excluded from the valid syntaxes mainly because images were not interpolable and that it would add to the usefulness of the syntax to be able to interpolate directly on the custom property. The other engines have shipped the image syntax without supporting interpolation. There are two interpolation methods in css-image-4, cross-fade() and per stop interpolation for gradients. The gradient interpolation is not shipped by any browser (even for standard properties). Safari ships a non-standard compliant cross-fade() interpolation for standard properties (at least for background-image), but not for the registered custom properties.

We have an OKR to look into cross-fade() for Q4. If we end up shipping that, it will work for both registered custom properties and standard properties.

The <image> syntax for registered custom properties is part of Interop 2023.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping Does not support interpolation

WebKit: Shipped/Shipping Does not support interpolation

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

No additional devtools support necessary compared to existing syntaxes.

Yes

Yes

https://wpt.fyi/css/css-properties-values-api/at-property.html https://wpt.fyi/css/css-properties-values-api/register-property-syntax-parsing.html https://wpt.fyi/css/css-properties-values-api/typedom.html

Flag name on chrome://flags

#enable-experimental-web-platform-features

Finch feature name

CSSVariables2ImageValues

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop120
DevTrial on desktop115
Shipping on Android120
DevTrial on Android115

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5142205606133760

Rune Lillesveen

Rune Lillesveen

Oct 4, 2023, 6:23:51 AM10/4/23
to blink-dev
On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 11:08 AM Rune Lillesveen <fut...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Sorry, this is not correct. It's implemented behind a flag, not shipping yet.

--
Rune Lillesveen

Daniel Bratell

Oct 11, 2023, 7:06:23 AM10/11/23
to Rune Lillesveen, blink-dev

LGTM1

(Privacy and Security steps in Chromestatus are not completed but they are unlikely to affect anything)

/Daniel

Emilio Cobos Álvarez

Oct 11, 2023, 9:51:05 AM10/11/23
to Rune Lillesveen, blink-dev
FWIW we don't ship this (outside of the nightly channel), so not sure
where the gecko status is coming from, but it's not accurate.

(Not that I object to this change tho)

-- Emilio

On 10/4/23 11:08, Rune Lillesveen wrote:

> [...]
> may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or
> structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).
>
> None
>

> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status
>
> https://chromestatus.com/feature/5142205606133760 <https://
> chromestatus.com/feature/5142205606133760>
>
> This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status <https://
> chromestatus.com/>.
>
> --
> Rune Lillesveen
>
> --
> chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/
> CACuPfeRmvmaqY%3DR8fx1%3Dr_ezTjevZR%3DyAg82E9Z3w8YXBB%2Bo_A%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CACuPfeRmvmaqY%3DR8fx1%3Dr_ezTjevZR%3DyAg82E9Z3w8YXBB%2Bo_A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike Taylor

Oct 11, 2023, 10:08:02 AM10/11/23
to Daniel Bratell, Rune Lillesveen, blink-dev

Chris Harrelson

Oct 11, 2023, 10:39:09 AM10/11/23
to Mike Taylor, Daniel Bratell, Rune Lillesveen, blink-dev

Yoav Weiss

Oct 11, 2023, 10:39:42 AM10/11/23
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Daniel Bratell, Rune Lillesveen
LGTM3

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 4:08:02 PM UTC+2 Mike Taylor wrote:

LGTM2

On 2023-10-04 12:23, Rune Lillesveen wrote:
On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 11:08 AM Rune Lillesveen <fut...@chromium.org> wrote:

--
Rune Lillesveen

Rune Lillesveen

Oct 12, 2023, 9:49:01 AM10/12/23
to Emilio Cobos Álvarez, blink-dev
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 3:50 PM Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
FWIW we don't ship this (outside of the nightly channel), so not sure
where the gecko status is coming from, but it's not accurate.

Yes, I corrected that in my previous reply and updated the chromestatus entry accordingly.

--
Rune Lillesveen