Question about running Trust Token in Chrome

Yan Han

Aug 26, 2022, 1:23:06 PM8/26/22
to blin...@chromium.org, Jaime Perez
Hello,

Our organization is trying to use Trust Tokens and we were able to test it locally up to 8 months ago with V2 PMB. But after that, it was not working anymore. We thought it was due to V3 update, but even after updating the configs to V3 PMB, it is still broken.

The only error msg that we're seeing is shown below:
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.56.25 PM.png

Can we get more information about this error msg and how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Yan

Steven Valdez

Aug 26, 2022, 1:27:57 PM8/26/22
to Yan Han, blin...@chromium.org, Jaime Perez
I'm not sure about 8 months ago, but as of May (M101), the origin trial for Trust Token concluded: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5078049450098688

We are still in the process of updating the API and figuring out next steps, but in the meantime you can still enable the feature for local experimentation via command-line flags as described in https://www.chromium.org/updates/trust-token/.

 Steven Valdez | Chrome Privacy Sandbox | sva...@google.com | Cambridge, MA

Clayton j Salter Fear

Aug 29, 2022, 10:56:08 AM8/29/22
to blink-dev, Yan Han
yees im wanting to know all about it too please

Yan Han

Aug 29, 2022, 4:20:04 PM8/29/22
to Steven Valdez, blin...@chromium.org, Jaime Perez
Hi Steven,
Thank you so much for the info.

We did enable the TT feature by launching Chrome (98.0.4758.80) via command line by passing --enable-blink-features=TrustTokens,TrustTokensAlwaysAllowIssuance  --additional-trust-token-key-commitments='{...}' but still had the above error.

From https://github.com/JackJey/trust-token-issuer-demo/issues/5#issuecomment-1223375871, the author mentioned TrustToken API is sensitive about the domain it's running.
Do we need to register our domain for allowlist in order to test it manually?

Thanks,
Yan

Steven Valdez

Aug 30, 2022, 10:10:20 AM8/30/22
to Yan Han, blin...@chromium.org, Jaime Perez
You'll need "--enable-features=TrustTokens --enable-blink-features=TrustTokens,TrustTokensAlwaysAllowIssuance --additional-trust-token-key-commitments={...}"

The "enable-features" flag enables the feature in Chrome, while the "enable-blink-features" flag enables the feature regardless of a domain/site having the origin trial token.

Steven Valdez

Aug 30, 2022, 11:01:28 AM8/30/22
to Yan Han, Jaime Perez, blin...@chromium.org
Can you hit "Check for Updates" under "Trust Token Key Commitments" in "chrome://components", and then see whether hitting "Issue" on https://trusttoken.dev/ works (to see if its a problem with that issuer/custom key commitments or more generally).

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 10:33 AM Yan Han <yan...@yahooinc.com> wrote:
Hi Steven,

Previously I enabled TrustTokens feature from the browser after starting Chrome. Now I tried to pass `--enable-features=TrustTokens` too, but still had the same issue. Also I noticed that the browse's complaining about `--enable-blink-features=TrustTokens,TrustTokensAlwaysAllowIssuance` saying they are not supported. My Chrome Version is: 98.0.4758.80 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.24.03 AM.png
  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Yan

Yan Han

Yan Han

Aug 30, 2022, 12:06:35 PM8/30/22
to Steven Valdez, Jaime Perez, blin...@chromium.org
 https://trusttoken.dev/ works. Got 200 OK and "Response: Issuing 1 tokens."

Thanks,
Yan

Steven Valdez

Aug 31, 2022, 9:54:18 AM8/31/22
to Yan Han, Jaime Perez, blin...@chromium.org
In that case, it sounds like the custom key commitments you're passing in through the command-line aren't correctly formatted or something. It's hard to debug without more specifics on the endpoint you're hitting/configured keys. If you're okay sharing details in private, perhaps open up a restricted Chromium bug (crbug.com) or we can discuss off-list.