Intent to Deprecate and Remove: Deprecation of CSS Anchor Positioning property `inset-area`

Ajay Rahatekar

Jul 10, 2024, 6:10:26 PM (5 days ago) Jul 10
to blink-dev, Mason Freed

Contact emails

mas...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10209#issuecomment-2221005001

Summary

The CSSWG resolved to rename the `inset-area` property to `position-area`. See the CSSWG discussion here: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/10209#issuecomment-2221005001. The new property name, `position-area`, as a synonym for `inset-area` shipped via https://chromestatus.com/feature/6567965055778816. This entry is for deprecation and removal of the `inset-area` property.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Motivation

With the CSSWG resolution on renaming the property to `position-area`, this deprecation will clean up the implementation in Chromium for a standards compliant feature.

Initial public proposal

None

Search tags

anchor positioning

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

None

No

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/352360007

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop131
DevTrial on desktop129
Shipping on Android131
DevTrial on Android129
Shipping on WebView131

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5944933945704448?gate=6046273227718656

Vladimir Levin

Jul 11, 2024, 11:31:52 AM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev, Mason Freed
On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 6:10 PM 'Ajay Rahatekar' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

From the other emails, there is a 0.02% usage of this property right now, so it may be worthwhile to document the planned timeline for the rename process.

This lists M131 as the shipping milestone, but I assume we want to do this before then, right?

Thanks,
Vlad

Mason Freed

Jul 11, 2024, 11:52:10 AM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Vladimir Levin, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev
On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 8:31 AM Vladimir Levin <vmp...@chromium.org> wrote:
From the other emails, there is a 0.02% usage of this property right now, so it may be worthwhile to document the planned timeline for the rename process.

This lists M131 as the shipping milestone, but I assume we want to do this before then, right?

So the idea is to add `position-area` in M129, and deprecate (but not yet remove) `inset-area` also in M129. And then ideally remove `inset-area` in M131. Two milestones seems like enough time for developers to migrate, but not enough time for usage of `inset-area` to really pick up.

Thanks,
Mason

Vladimir Levin

Jul 11, 2024, 12:12:49 PM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Mason Freed, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev
On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:52 AM Mason Freed <mas...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 8:31 AM Vladimir Levin <vmp...@chromium.org> wrote:
From the other emails, there is a 0.02% usage of this property right now, so it may be worthwhile to document the planned timeline for the rename process.

This lists M131 as the shipping milestone, but I assume we want to do this before then, right?

So the idea is to add `position-area` in M129, and deprecate (but not yet remove) `inset-area` also in M129. And then ideally remove `inset-area` in M131. Two milestones seems like enough time for developers to migrate, but not enough time for usage of `inset-area` to really pick up.

That sounds like a good plan. I also assume that you would reach out to any properties that you know are using insert-area to let them know of this change, especially if you don't see usage dropping by M131.

LGTM1 for deprecating `insert-area` in M129 and removing in M131

Thanks,
Vlad

Chris Harrelson

Jul 11, 2024, 12:13:49 PM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Vladimir Levin, Mason Freed, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev

Mike Taylor

Jul 11, 2024, 12:51:52 PM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Chris Harrelson, Vladimir Levin, Mason Freed, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev

Mason Freed

Jul 11, 2024, 1:18:11 PM (4 days ago) Jul 11
to Mike Taylor, Chris Harrelson, Vladimir Levin, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev
Thank you all!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 9:51 AM Mike Taylor <mike...@chromium.org> wrote:
So the idea is to add `position-area` in M129, and deprecate (but not yet remove) `inset-area` also in M129. And then ideally remove `inset-area` in M131. Two milestones seems like enough time for developers to migrate, but not enough time for usage of `inset-area` to really pick up.

That sounds like a good plan. I also assume that you would reach out to any properties that you know are using insert-area to let them know of this change, especially if you don't see usage dropping by M131.

Yes, definitely. We'll re-evaluate the M131 removal closer to the date, and see if outreach is warranted.

Thanks,
Mason