Web-Facing Change PSA: align-content CSS property for blocks

TAMURA, Kent

Dec 11, 2023, 6:07:18 PM12/11/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

tk...@chromium.orgikilp...@chromium.org

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#distribution-block

Summary

`align-content` CSS property works for block containers and table cells. The property worked only for flex containers and grid containers. It supports block containers and table cells, that is to say `display: block`, `display: list-item`, `display: table-cell`, etc.

Blink component

Blink>Layout

Search tags

cssalign-content

TAG review

None; API surface is not changed.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Low risk. This just expands coverage of a CSS property.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Yes

https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-align/blocks https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-align/multicol

Flag name on chrome://flags

AlignContentForBlocks

Finch feature name

AlignContentForBlocks

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1500511

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop122
DevTrial on desktop121
Shipping on Android122
DevTrial on Android121
Shipping on WebView122

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5159040328138752

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

PhistucK

Dec 11, 2023, 6:50:41 PM12/11/23
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
Low risk. This just expands coverage of a CSS property.

Well... Not that low, perhaps?
I think I used a trick (I suppose) where under some circumstances, I do not want the property (and others that are flexbox-specific) to have any effect, so I just change display to block. Not saying it is a great way to do things, but it does mean that there might be others like me.
The risk is usually only due to potential visual glitches for the most part, I suppose, but it might be more than that (things being hidden/unreachable).

PhistucK

一丝

Dec 11, 2023, 10:10:51 PM12/11/23
to PhistucK, TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
WebKit is being actively implemented: https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/pull/21522

以上
一丝

PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> 于2023年12月12日周二 07:50写道:

Vladimir Levin

Dec 12, 2023, 9:52:56 AM12/12/23
to 一丝, PhistucK, TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
It's worthwhile to file a request for position here as well to ensure there are no concerns -- unless the position is already expressed elsewhere

Christian Biesinger

Dec 12, 2023, 1:26:01 PM12/12/23
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
I'm curious what the reasoning was for sending this as a PSA vs I2S?

Personally I'd be worried about websites specifying align-content on .foo but only expect it to be applied to flexboxes. Do we have a use counter for align-content on non-flexbox/grid?

Also, any plans for the other properties from https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/ ?

Christian

TAMURA, Kent

Dec 12, 2023, 9:19:41 PM12/12/23
to Christian Biesinger, blink-dev
You're right.  This change can break sites in such cases.  Though we don't have a use counter, we think the number of affected sites should be small, and the breakage is a minor rendering difference. So two API owners, chrishtr@ and tkent@, thought a PSA was enough for this.

We might expand supported conditions of other properties of css-align.

TAMURA, Kent

Dec 14, 2023, 6:43:31 PM12/14/23
to Vladimir Levin, 一丝, PhistucK, blink-dev
Thank you for the suggestion.  I filed https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/941 .