Intent to Ship: Linear easing function

Daniil Sakhapov

Feb 28, 2023, 10:25:58 AM2/28/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/csswg-drafts/css-easing/#the-linear-easing-function

Summary

Introduces linear() easing function that allows linear interpolation between a number of points.

Note: Requires implementation work from the DevTools team in the line editor

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: No signal

Yes

Yes
wpt.fyi/css/css-easing/linear-timing-functions-syntax.tentative.html
wpt.fyi/css/css-transitions/parsing/transition-timing-function-valid.html

Flag name

CSSLinearTimingFunction

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1416540

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop113
DevTrial on Android113

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5139710823890944

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92-JJPXCivY0%2BZZZ_FyW8enk_zrco74oYN2Ub0ZyYuA6Qw%40mail.gmail.com

Mike Taylor

Feb 28, 2023, 3:04:10 PM2/28/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev

On 2/28/23 7:25 AM, Daniil Sakhapov wrote:

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/csswg-drafts/css-easing/#the-linear-easing-function

Summary

Introduces linear() easing function that allows linear interpolation between a number of points.

Note: Requires implementation work from the DevTools team in the line editor

Are there bugs on file to track this work? Do we expect it to be ready for M113?

Yoav Weiss

Mar 1, 2023, 8:25:27 AM3/1/23
to Mike Taylor, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 9:04 PM Mike Taylor <mike...@chromium.org> wrote:

On 2/28/23 7:25 AM, Daniil Sakhapov wrote:

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

An explainer (even a short & inlined one) would have been helpful here to understand what the feature does and how developers will use it.

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/csswg-drafts/css-easing/#the-linear-easing-function

Summary

Introduces linear() easing function that allows linear interpolation between a number of points.

Note: Requires implementation work from the DevTools team in the line editor

Are there bugs on file to track this work? Do we expect it to be ready for M113?

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: No signal

Can you file for a signal?

Any word on developer interest in this?

Daniil Sakhapov

Mar 2, 2023, 8:59:09 AM3/2/23
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev, Mike Taylor
Hi all!

I've asked DevTools team to create a tracking bug, I'll add it once it's created.

Explainer: One can create an easing function with any number of intermediate points and have a linear interpolation between them, this allows to create animations like bouncing and approximation of any complex function.

Yoav Weiss

Mar 7, 2023, 6:11:14 AM3/7/23
to Bienes Raices Vargas y A, Mike Taylor, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev
LGTM1 given the fact we'd be catching up to Gecko here, and the developer interest in this.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 10:38 PM Bienes Raices Vargas y A <www.banco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 9:04 PM Mike Taylor <mike...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2/28/23 7:25 AM, Daniil Sakhapov wrote:
>>
>> Contact emails sakh...@chromium.org
>>
>> An explainer (even a short & inlined one) would have been helpful here to
> understand what the feature does and how developers will use it.
>
>> Specification
>> https://w3c.github.io/csswg-drafts/css-easing/#the-linear-easing-function
>>
>> Summary
>>
>> Introduces linear() easing function that allows linear interpolation
>> between a number of points.
>>
>> Note: Requires implementation work from the DevTools team in the line
>> editor
>>
>> Are there bugs on file to track this work? Do we expect it to be ready
>> for
>> M113?
>>

>> Blink component Blink>CSS
>> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ECSS>
>>
>> Risks
>> Interoperability and Compatibility
>> *Gecko*: Shipped/Shipping
>>
>> *WebKit*: No signal

> Can you file for a signal?
>
> Any word on developer interest in this?
>

>> Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
>> Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)? Yes
>>
>> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

>> wpt.fyi/css/css-easing/linear-timing-functions-syntax.tentative.html
>> wpt.fyi/css/css-transitions/parsing/transition-timing-function-valid.html
>>
>> Flag name CSSLinearTimingFunction
>>
>> Tracking bug
>> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1416540
>>
>> Estimated milestones
>> DevTrial on desktop 113
>> DevTrial on Android 113
>> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status
>> https://chromestatus.com/feature/5139710823890944
>>
>> Links to previous Intent discussions Intent to prototype:
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92-JJPXCivY0%2BZZZ_FyW8enk_zrco74oYN2Ub0ZyYuA6Qw%40mail.gmail.com
>>

>> This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92_naoNMzYobpYxQp99BEUg2PD2_BjLM%2BaOCNZPyk%3Ds_9Q%40mail.gmail.com

>> .
>>
>> --

>> .

Mike Taylor

Mar 7, 2023, 10:58:04 AM3/7/23
to Yoav Weiss, Bienes Raices Vargas y A, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev

LGTM2

slightlyoff via Chromestatus

Mar 7, 2023, 3:23:50 PM3/7/23
to blin...@chromium.org
LGTM3

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Mar 8, 2023, 9:57:48 AM3/8/23
to Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss, Bienes Raices Vargas y A, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev
This has been already approved.

Anyway one minor question, why are the WPT tests marked as "tentative"?
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-easing

Maybe now that is shipping in 2 browsers we could rename them.

Cheers,
Rego
>> <mailto:blink-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92_naoNMzYobpYxQp99BEUg2PD2_BjLM%2BaOCNZPyk%3Ds_9Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92_naoNMzYobpYxQp99BEUg2PD2_BjLM%2BaOCNZPyk%3Ds_9Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>

>> it, send an
>> <mailto:blink-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/55271f85-287c-93c3-4837-86a7e6ec60cd%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/55271f85-287c-93c3-4837-86a7e6ec60cd%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
>> >>

>> > --
>> it, send an
>> > email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org
>> <mailto:blink-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/4c95eee2-0860-c421-48f2-723e3add9df1%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/4c95eee2-0860-c421-48f2-723e3add9df1%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Daniil Sakhapov

Mar 13, 2023, 6:15:30 AM3/13/23
to blink-dev, Manuel Rego, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss, www.banco...@gmail.com
ok, I'll rename it!

>> <mailto:blink-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
>> >>
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/55271f85-287c-93c3-4837-86a7e6ec60cd%40chromium.org
>> >>
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/55271f85-287c-93c3-4837-86a7e6ec60cd%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/55271f85-287c-93c3-4837-86a7e6ec60cd%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
>> >>

>> > --
>> it, send an
>> <mailto:blink-dev%2Bunsu...@chromium.org>.
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfVU3mU2MRbDPdDHqhFDstVShEQqLgLFZJjmXq3d8BYMXg%40mail.gmail.com.