Intent to Ship: CSS 'ic' Length Unit

Rune Lillesveen

Aug 4, 2022, 3:13:36 PM8/4/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

fut...@chromium.orgko...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-values-4/#ic

Summary

Support for expressing CSS lengths relative to the used advance measure of the CJK water ideograph.

Motivation

Allow authors to size elements to fit a given number of fullwidth glyphs for CJK fonts.

Note: both Gecko and WebKit ship this unit and this feature is part of the Interop 2022 effort.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping (https://caniuse.com/mdn-css_types_length_ic)

WebKit: Shipped/Shipping (https://caniuse.com/mdn-css_types_length_ic)

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Debuggability

The new ic unit should work out of the box.

Yes

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-001.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-002.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-003.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-004.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-008.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-009.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-010.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-011.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-012.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-013.html
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-values/ic-unit-014.html

Flag name

#enable-experimental-web-platform-features

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/937101

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop106
DevTrial on Android106

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5193188445257728

Rune Lillesveen

slightlyoff via Chromestatus

Aug 4, 2022, 6:08:11 PM8/4/22
to blin...@chromium.org
LGTM1

Yoav Weiss

Aug 5, 2022, 1:47:42 AM8/5/22
to slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blink-dev
LGTM2

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 12:08 AM slightlyoff via Chromestatus <admin+sl...@cr-status.appspotmail.com> wrote:
LGTM1

Daniel Bratell

Aug 5, 2022, 4:27:35 AM8/5/22
to Yoav Weiss, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blink-dev

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 5, 2022, 12:45:05 PM8/5/22
to Daniel Bratell, Yoav Weiss, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blink-dev

紫云飞

Aug 6, 2022, 11:53:54 AM8/6/22
to blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt, yoav...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell
Please hold shipping (if necessary) until this spec issue resolved https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7577

Rune Lillesveen

Aug 9, 2022, 12:14:22 PM8/9/22
to 紫云飞, blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt, yoav...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, Daniel Bratell
Given this was rejected last time it was discussed in the csswg, it doesn't seem likely it will change this time?

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 9, 2022, 2:47:21 PM8/9/22
to 紫云飞, blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, Daniel Bratell
Hi Yunfei,

The currently specified behavior has already shipped in Firefox and Safari. If this is going to change, it's important that all browsers make the change, so that we don't end up with non-interoperable behavior.

Do you know of any fonts where 水 and 永 have different widths? Also curious if you have a link to the discussion on Chinese social media that you mentioned.

Best regards,
Philip

一丝

Aug 9, 2022, 11:50:24 PM8/9/22
to blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, Daniel Bratell, 紫云飞
Discussion on Chinese social media see: https://twitter.com/yisibl/status/1555391638876274688
I used Google Translate to make it easier to read.
FZXca3iUYAAr1kn.jpeg

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 11, 2022, 7:04:22 AM8/11/22
to 一丝, blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, Daniel Bratell, 紫云飞
Thank you for sharing!

Rune Lillesveen

Aug 31, 2022, 7:33:08 AM8/31/22
to 紫云飞, blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt, yoav...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, Daniel Bratell
we support the spec change, but since it won't have any impact on implementation details we'll continue to ship in parallel with spec consideration
We support the spec change, but since it won't have any impact on implementation details we'll continue to ship in parallel with the spec consideration.
--
Rune Lillesveen