Intent to Prototype: mdoc presentation API

Adam Langley

Feb 16, 2023, 11:56:17 AM2/16/23
to blink-dev, Sam Goto, Rick Byers
Contact emails
agl, goto, and rbyers @chromium.org

Specification
https://github.com/WICG/mobile-document-request-api/pull/5

Summary
Mobile driver's licenses use a format called mdoc (ISO/IEC 18013-5:2021), but other forms of identity can also use it. This Web Platform feature would allow sites to request real-world identity information in this format. This would allow people to assert their identity in situations that reasonably require it, such as opening a bank account online, and to disclose specific subsets of their identity for uses such as age verification.

We believe that the following are required properties of Chromium’s implementation of this API:
  • The user agent must be able to see what attributes are being requested so that it can communicate that to the user, address abuse, etc.
  • It must be possible to use multiple wallet apps.
  • There must be a smooth path to allowing sites to concurrently request identity documents in other formats, e.g. federation-based identity or verifiable credentials.
  • Users should be able to present their identity to the sites that they choose to.
Initially this work will be only for Chromium on Android. Ultimately we envision implementing this API on desktop platforms where the user-agent will communicate with a nearby mobile device, in a phishing-resistant manner, to provide the assertion. Of course, being in Chromium, our implementation will be open-source and BSD-licensed.

Initial public proposal
https://github.com/WICG/mobile-document-request-api/pull/5

TAG review status
Forthcoming

Risks
The major risks that concern us are that users may not feel in control of what information they are disclosing, and may feel pressured to disclose personal information in contexts where they feel that request is inappropriate. Addressing these will require, at least, significant thought and experimentation around suitable UI.

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: Apple wrote the first draft of this API and are engaged in its development.

Web developers: No signals

Other signals: the EU is developing guidance that assumes these kinds of capabilities for some online services.

WebView application risks
This feature will not initially be available in WebViews.

Requires code in //chrome?
Yes. We expect that some top-level browser UI will be needed in at least some cases where real-world identity is requested.

Estimated milestones
2023Q2: availability of a draft API on Android, behind a flag.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5166035265650688