Intent to Prototype: Storage Buckets API

Ayu Ishii

Oct 8, 2020, 4:41:38 PM10/8/20
to blink-dev, Victor Costan

Contact emails
ay...@chromium.org, pwn...@chromium.org

Explainer
https://github.com/WICG/storage-buckets/blob/gh-pages/explainer.md

TAG review

Summary
Storage Buckets allows sites the ability to create multiple storage buckets, partitioning data and allowing user agents to delete each bucket independently of other buckets. Each bucket can store data associated with established storage APIs such as IndexedDB and CacheStorage.

Motivation
Currently, when there is storage pressure, sites have no control over how their data gets evicted during browser storage eviction. Today, browsers only have a binary choice to “persist” or “delete” all the data stored by a site.The Storage Buckets API will allow sites to partition data, manage quota and set eviction prioritization so sites can specify what data gets removed first during browser storage eviction.

Risks
Interoperability and Compatibility
If no other browsers end up implementing this API, websites will only be able to use the default bucket that is supported today.

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/whatwg/storage/issues/2)
WebKit: No signal (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-August/031373.html)
Web developers: Positive - Internal Google partners

Yes

No, but we intend to get full test coverage as we build out the feature.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5739224579964928