PSA: Installing service workers will throttle network requests.

Ben Kelly

Aug 26, 2020, 4:36:31 PM8/26/20
to blink-dev
All,

Please be aware I plan to shortly land a CL to enable throttling network requests in installing service workers as described in crbug.com/1035448.  This works very similarly to how the network is throttled in background tabs.  This will affect M84+.

I don't expect there to be any observable API change or breakage to sites.  Trials showed that while installs take slightly longer, timeouts do not appreciably increase.  The timeout rate for service worker installation remains ~0.1%.

This is intended as an anti-footgun mechanism as we had one partner negatively impacted by network contention from activity in an updating service worker.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

Thanks.

Ben

Ben Kelly

Aug 27, 2020, 4:51:28 PM8/27/20
to blink-dev
The CL has landed and this should take effect for users the next time they restart their browser.

Ben Kelly

Sep 3, 2020, 10:25:59 AM9/3/20
to blink-dev
FYI, I've had to temporarily disable throttling installing service workers due to crbug.com/1124632.

Ben Kelly

Feb 1, 2021, 4:35:56 PM2/1/21
to blink-dev
FYI, this is now rolled out to 100% of users affecting M87 and later.  Trial results showed a small, but statistically significant, improvement in service worker installation success rate.