Intent to Implement: WebGL drawingBufferStorage

Christopher Cameron

Sep 20, 2023, 7:08:28 AM9/20/23
to blink-dev, Kenneth Russell

Contact emails

ccam...@chromium.org

Specification

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/3222

Summary

Allows WebGL to specify the format of its backbuffer. In particular, allows floating-point (for use with wide color and high dynamic range) and sRGB-encoded (for 8-bit physically based rendering) framebuffers.

Blink component

Blink>WebGL

Motivation

This is required for HDR support in WebGL and has been requested by several partners.

TAG review

N/A

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None.

Gecko: Positive Feature authored by Mozilla.

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

No, WebGL is tested using the WebGL conformance tests.

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

No

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5146687245123584

Ken Russell

Sep 20, 2023, 5:47:10 PM9/20/23
to Christopher Cameron, blink-dev
Thank you Chris for implementing this and driving the spec forward! API owners, hoping for your approval to implement this long-awaited feature.

-Ken

Yoav Weiss

Sep 21, 2023, 7:22:00 AM9/21/23
to Ken Russell, Christopher Cameron, blink-dev
Given that this is presumably an Intent to Prototype, I don't think you're blocking on our approvals just yet :)

Christopher Cameron

Sep 22, 2023, 4:03:18 AM9/22/23
to Yoav Weiss, Ken Russell, blink-dev
On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 1:21 PM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:
Given that this is presumably an Intent to Prototype, I don't think you're blocking on our approvals just yet :)

Yes ... this feature has had a long history, so this is a "pre-intent-to-ship heads-up for something that was mostly prototyped long ago".

It was carved off from a larger feature that was reduced in scope before shipping (the feature became 2D canvas color management). The bulk of the prototype code for this landed with that feature long ago.