Intent to Experiment: COOP: restrict-properties

Arthur Hemery

Jul 26, 2022, 10:59:54 AM7/26/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

ahe...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/hemeryar/explainers/blob/main/coop_restrict_properties.md

Specification

https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/6364

Summary

Cross-Origin-Opener-Policy is used to sever the relationship between popup and openers, to increase security. "restrict-properties" is a proposed value that restricts the relationship instead of completely severing it. It would enable crossOriginIsolated when paired with COEP.

Blink component

Blink>SecurityFeature>COOP

Search tags

COOPrestrict-properties

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

It could fail to become an interoperable part of the web platform if other browsers do not implement it. The OT is intended to gather user feedback to get support from Mozilla.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals: Have a few partners interested in trying this out like Zoom and Facebook, as well as at least one internal partner (altimin@ for perfetto dashboards).

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

The goal for this experiment is to give partners the possibility to try the new value at scale and to discover potential deployment blockers that were not anticipated (e.g. external dependency, same-origin communications required, etc.)

Debuggability

COOP reporting will support restricted cross-origin properties reporting, similar to what exists for other COOP values.

Yes

COOP is parsed on all platforms, but the process model implied might vary.

Yes under wpt/html/cross-origin-opener-policy/tentative/restrict-properties.

Flag name

--enable-features='CoopRestrictProperties'

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1221127

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1347385

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last110
OriginTrial desktop first106
OriginTrial Android last110
OriginTrial Android first106

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5072630953017344

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAF07A2Uw-Oh0d7ktTPnV%3D8TTrr%2BNcTgfiLxzFd2P2QLD18qNsw%40mail.gmail.com

Arthur Hemery

Jul 27, 2022, 12:00:52 PM7/27/22
to blink-dev
Please note that a TAG issue was just filed:

Mike Taylor

Jul 27, 2022, 12:20:28 PM7/27/22
to Arthur Hemery, blink-dev
LGTM to experiment from M106 to M110.

Arthur Hemery

Aug 9, 2022, 8:12:20 AM8/9/22
to blink-dev
Implementation work was delayed, we're now targeting 107-111.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 11:45 PM Lia Martinez <liamart...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mira tú Arturo como te llames pendejo de mierda deja de estar mandado mensajes a este número ya le pegue su putisa a esta pura por inrespetosa todos usted que pantera que verga vallan a chingar así pura madre pedaso de mierda enfermos sexuales

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/bc9e72bf-fc63-f842-d132-0eb84b76d2b3%40chromium.org.

Arthur Hemery

Sep 15, 2022, 3:00:00 AM9/15/22
to blink-dev
Couldn't fit in everything we wanted in 107 so moving again to 108-112

Mike Taylor

Sep 15, 2022, 12:06:45 PM9/15/22
to Arthur Hemery, blink-dev

Arthur Hemery

Oct 12, 2022, 7:16:40 AM10/12/22
to blink-dev, Charlie Reis, Camille Lamy, Nasko Oskov
Hi API owners!

I've discussed this with the Chrome Security Architecture team and since there are still things to iterate on design wise, we're putting this on hold for now.
I'll come back to this thread once we have an experiment ready to ship, instead of continuously announcing milestones and pushing them back.

Thanks,
Arthur

Mike Taylor

Oct 12, 2022, 9:52:00 AM10/12/22
to Arthur Hemery, blink-dev, Charlie Reis, Camille Lamy, Nasko Oskov