Intent to Ship: Markup based Client Hints delegation for third-party content

Ari Chivukula

Dec 20, 2021, 5:02:04 PM12/20/21
to blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss

Contact emails

ari...@chromium.org, jadek...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org

Design Doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U3P9yvaT1NXG_qRmY3Lp6Me7M5kTnd3QrBb1yFUVNNk/edit

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/client-hints-infrastructure/

Intent to Prototype

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/FTNrw03Xs9s/m/O74Mp6bmCAAJ

Summary

To support content negotiation use cases such as differential serving of variable fonts, color vector fonts, responsive images, and other third-party content which requires client information lost by user agent reduction. For example: variable fonts allow significantly less font information to be transferred without loss of functionality, but only works on specific operating systems.

Blink component

Blink>Network>ClientHints

Motivation

It’s already possible to set a Permissions Policy in the HTTP response header, but for sites without the ability to modify HTTP headers a HTML solution would be ideal. This proposal ships a meta tag which allows delegation of client hints to third-party origins. These tags could be included in code-snippets for embedded third-party content for ease of use.

For example, to specify third party requests to `https://foo.bar` must include `sec-ch-width` you could include:

You may still omit the permission policy and rely on the default allowlist as follows:

Note that this is the equivalent of the following today:

TAG review

Compatibility

We do not anticipate compatibility risks for this addition - Blink currently implements first party client hints via a `http-equiv` meta tag, and that functionality will not be removed or modified.

Interoperability

Gecko: Neutral

WebKit: Requested

Web developers: Positive interest from Cloudinary

Debuggability

Any improperly formatted client hint meta tags will be flagged in the Issues tab.

https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/pull/32142

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1219359

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5684289032159232

Ari Chivukula

Jan 10, 2022, 3:58:30 PM1/10/22
to blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss
Reaching out for review now that we're past the holiday season. I'm hoping to make the M99 branch cut on the 20th.

Yoav Weiss

Jan 11, 2022, 5:09:50 AM1/11/22
to Ari Chivukula, blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor
I'm recusing myself on this intent, as I was involved in the design. At the same time, (and unsurprisingly), I think this is an important feature to enable Client Hints adoption for cross-origin resources, which seems critically important both for fonts as well as for image CDNs.

Rick Byers

Jan 11, 2022, 2:51:52 PM1/11/22
to Yoav Weiss, Ari Chivukula, blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor
LGTM1, looks pretty minor and straightforward. And I agree that we can't rely on the ability to set HTTP headers alone for wide adoption.

Daniel Bratell

Jan 11, 2022, 3:41:59 PM1/11/22
to Rick Byers, Yoav Weiss, Ari Chivukula, blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor

Ari Chivukula

Jan 18, 2022, 10:18:55 AM1/18/22
to Daniel Bratell, Rick Byers, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Jade Kessler, Mike Taylor
Hi API owners! Wanted to bump this thread since we're getting close to the M99 branch cut (this Thursday).

This could be launched to beta only, but since there's been developer interest in this feature we would like to launch it with M99 if possible.

~ Ari Chivukula (Their/There/They're)

chrishtr via Chromestatus

Jan 19, 2022, 12:04:11 PM1/19/22
to blin...@chromium.org
Hi, the API owners discussed this intent today. We decided that we'd like to hear from the TAG about this feature (*), and so are not deciding on it this week. I hope a delay to M100 won't be a huge burden. (*) The TAG review was filed only a few weeks ago, so I think they need some more time.

chrishtr via Chromestatus

Feb 9, 2022, 11:35:30 AM2/9/22
to blin...@chromium.org
LGTM3 Looks like the TAG review is still pending. Please watch for any feedback from them that might require changes.

Domenic Denicola

Mar 23, 2022, 12:24:52 PM3/23/22
to chrishtr via Chromestatus, blin...@chromium.org
I'd like to highlight a serious interop risk here, which is that it is not specified at all when or how many times the accept-ch meta tag is processed. Some more discussion in https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/702#issuecomment-1076530567 . I hope this can be addressed before shipping as it could lead to very non-interoperable implementations. (E.g. right now the only conformant implementation of the spec is to never process accept-ch meta tags at all, because there is no normative text requiring it's processing, just an unlabeled list of steps which no normative text ever runs.)

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 11:35 AM chrishtr via Chromestatus <admin+c...@cr-status.appspotmail.com> wrote:
LGTM3 Looks like the TAG review is still pending. Please watch for any feedback from them that might require changes.

Ari Chivukula

Mar 24, 2022, 3:42:34 PM3/24/22
to Domenic Denicola, chrishtr via Chromestatus, blin...@chromium.org
This is a good point, I'm working to fix the standard to reflect the way Chrome handles the parsing. Open to feedback if I'm missing something. https://github.com/WICG/client-hints-infrastructure/pull/103

~ Ari Chivukula (Their/There/They're)