Intent to Prototype: Add bugfix version number to User-Agent string on Bling

Janice Liu

9:45 AM (4 hours ago) 9:45 AM
to blink-dev

Contact emails

jani...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org

Explainer

None.  This is a minor change and we are sharing it to provide transparency into changes that we are implementing.

Specification

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9110#field.user-agent

Summary

User Agent (UA) strings in Chromium have been moving towards reducing or freezing information - but until WebKit allows us to implement UA client hints, we propose adding the bugfix number to the UA, for compatibility purposes.

Blink component

Chromium>Mobile>iOSWeb

Motivation

The Chrome for iOS User-Agent header only includes the major and minor version numbers, while Safari and Firefox for iOS include the major, minor, and bugfix numbers. We have received a request from external partners to match this pattern, and are aware of at least one platform that relies on having an accurate bugfix version number to ensure the latest security updates are installed.

UA strings in Chromium have been moving towards reducing or freezing information - but until WebKit allows us to implement UA client hints, we propose adding the bugfix number to the UA, for compatibility purposes.

In practice:

Before this change: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 17_5 like Mac OS X)

AppleWebKit/602.1.50 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/123.0.2924.75

Mobile/14E5239e Safari/602.1

After this change (note the additional “_1” in the OS version token): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 17_5_1 like Mac OS X)

AppleWebKit/602.1.50 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/123.0.2924.75

Mobile/14E5239e Safari/602.1

Initial public proposal

None

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal (Firefox on iOS already follows this pattern)

WebKit: No signal (mobile Safari already follows this pattern)

Web developers: We have received at least one external partner request for this change.

WebView application risks

N/A (this is for iOS)

Debuggability

None