Intent to Prototype: Media Queries: prefers-contrast feature

Alison Maher

Oct 15, 2020, 12:59:40 PM10/15/20
to blin...@chromium.org, Daniel Libby

Contact emails

alm...@microsoft.com

Explainer

None

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-5/#prefers-contrast

Summary

Adds the 'prefers-contrast' feature, which lets authors adapt web content to user-selected level of contrast in the OS, such as increased contrast mode on macOS and high contrast mode on Windows. Valid options are 'more', 'less', 'forced', or 'no-preference'.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Search tags

prefers-contrast, contrast, css

TAG review

Given that this will only be adding a new type of media query that is already in the spec and has been resolved on by the CSSWG, no TAG review is needed.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: In development (https://hacks.mozilla.org/2020/07/adding-prefers-contrast-to-firefox/) Implemented behind a flag

WebKit: Neutral (https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5433)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1286, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1107431&q=probablyup%40gmail.com&can=2)

Ergonomics

If Forced Colors Mode is enabled, 'prefers-contrast: forced' will evaluate to true, in addition to 'forced-colors: active'. Additionally, the spec mentions that "when the user agent can determine whether the forced color palette chosen by the user has a high or low contrast, one of 'prefers-contrast: more' or 'prefers-contrast: less' must match in addition to 'prefers-contrast: forced'." Using WCAG definitions[1], and in collaboration with Windows accessibility experts, we have decided to match 'more' in Forced Colors Mode if the contrast ratio between the foreground and background color is 7:1 or greater. "A contrast ratio of 3:1 is the minimum level recommended by [[ISO-9241-3]] and [[ANSI-HFES-100-1988]] for standard text and vision"[1]. Given this, we will start by matching to 'less' in Forced Colors Mode if the contrast ratio between the foreground and background color is 2.5:1 or less. These ratios will act as an experimental baseline that we can adjust based on user feedback. [1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/contrast-enhanced

Yes

The feature will be supported on all platforms, but whether the user will be able to change to a specific contrast preference may depend on the OS.

Yes

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1107431

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5646323212615680