Intent to Ship: CSS "update" media feature

Daniil Sakhapov

Feb 28, 2023, 7:22:03 AM2/28/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/mediaqueries-4/#descdef-media-update

Summary

Implements "update" media feature. Allows to distinguish styles for print, slow and fast output displays: print - for documents on the paper; slow - for e-ink and underpowered displays; fast - regular computer displays.

Note:

Browser should set the web setting, saying if it has a slow or fast screen, default is fast.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: No signal

Spec: the feature is marked as "at risk", but it's part of the Interopt 2023 + Firefox has shipped it. We can save the feature!

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/css/mediaqueries/update-media-feature.html

Flag name

CSSUpdateMediaFeature

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=791028

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop113
DevTrial on Android113

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5154424982339584

Daniil Sakhapov

Feb 28, 2023, 10:07:06 AM2/28/23
to Patrick Lauke, blink-dev
agree, my mistake, I thought about explaining 3 types of output displays, not the media feature values

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Patrick Lauke <splin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shouldn't the first value be `none` rather than `print` ?

Patrick Lauke

Feb 28, 2023, 11:34:13 AM2/28/23
to blink-dev, Daniil Sakhapov
Shouldn't the first value be `none` rather than `print` ?

Yoav Weiss

Mar 1, 2023, 8:14:40 AM3/1/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, Patrick Lauke, blink-dev
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 4:07 PM Daniil Sakhapov <sakh...@chromium.org> wrote:
agree, my mistake, I thought about explaining 3 types of output displays, not the media feature values

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Patrick Lauke <splin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shouldn't the first value be `none` rather than `print` ?

On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 12:22:03 UTC Daniil Sakhapov wrote:

This is one of the rare cases where the feature is simple enough and the spec is clear enough that an explainer is not really needed! :)

Summary

Implements "update" media feature. Allows to distinguish styles for print, slow and fast output displays: print - for documents on the paper; slow - for e-ink and underpowered displays; fast - regular computer displays.

Note:

Browser should set the web setting, saying if it has a slow or fast screen, default is fast.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

(You could have used the WPT results as a link to back this up)

WebKit: No signal

Can you file a WebKit position?

Any word on web developer demand for it?

Spec: the feature is marked as "at risk", but it's part of the Interopt 2023 + Firefox has shipped it. We can save the feature!

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/css/mediaqueries/update-media-feature.html

Flag name

CSSUpdateMediaFeature

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=791028

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop113
DevTrial on Android113

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5154424982339584

Domenic Denicola

Mar 1, 2023, 6:42:05 PM3/1/23
to Yoav Weiss, Daniil Sakhapov, Patrick Lauke, blink-dev
On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 10:14 PM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

I wonder if this might not be necessary for features that are part of Interop 2023? I think given the veto process in how that list is assembled, that guarantees at least a "neutral" position from all vendors. (Knowing whether WebKit feels "positive" or "neutral" about the feature might be interesting, but doesn't feel like a great use of our or their time, at least for small features like this.)

Any word on web developer demand for it?

Spec: the feature is marked as "at risk", but it's part of the Interopt 2023 + Firefox has shipped it. We can save the feature!

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/css/mediaqueries/update-media-feature.html

Flag name

CSSUpdateMediaFeature

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=791028

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop113
DevTrial on Android113

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5154424982339584

Mike Taylor

Mar 1, 2023, 11:59:45 PM3/1/23
to Domenic Denicola, Yoav Weiss, Daniil Sakhapov, Patrick Lauke, blink-dev

I like this idea, but let's move this part of the discussion to blink-api-owners-discuss@ (I can start a thread), and we can circle back with an update on the consensus view.

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Mar 8, 2023, 10:05:57 AM3/8/23
to blin...@chromium.org
>> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ECSS>
>>

>> Risks
>>

>> Interoperability and Compatibility
>>

>> /Gecko/: Shipped/Shipping
>>

>> (You could have used the WPT results
>> <https://wpt.fyi/results/css/mediaqueries/update-media-feature.html?label=master&label=experimental&aligned> as a link to back this up)
>>

>> /WebKit/: No signal
>>

>> Can you file a WebKit position?
>>

>> I wonder if this might not be necessary for features that are part of
>> Interop 2023? I think given the veto process in how that list is
>> assembled, that guarantees at least a "neutral" position from all
>> vendors. (Knowing whether WebKit feels "positive" or "neutral" about
>> the feature might be interesting, but doesn't feel like a great use of
>> our or their time, at least for small features like this.)
>
> I like this idea, but let's move this part of the discussion to
> blink-api-owners-discuss@ (I can start a thread), and we can circle back
> with an update on the consensus view.
>

>> Any word on web developer demand for it?
>>

>> /Spec/: the feature is marked as "at risk", but it's
>> part of the Interopt 2023 + Firefox has shipped it. We
>> can save the feature!

I guess that if this is part of Interop 2023 and we're planning to ship
too, we should ask CSSWG to remove the feature from "at-risk".

Cheers,
Rego

>> Is this feature fully tested
>> by web-platform-tests
>> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>>
>> Yes
>> https://wpt.fyi/css/mediaqueries/update-media-feature.html
>>

>> Flag name
>>
>> CSSUpdateMediaFeature
>>

>> Tracking bug
>>
>> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=791028
>>

>> Estimated milestones
>>
>> DevTrial on desktop 113
>>
>> DevTrial on Android 113
>>

>> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status
>>
>> https://chromestatus.com/feature/5154424982339584
>>
>> This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform
>> Status <https://chromestatus.com/>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92_-FaTz7z9S-eiWGw-_ZOap32FcOVig3VMJLxguQpoq0Q%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH3Z92_-FaTz7z9S-eiWGw-_ZOap32FcOVig3VMJLxguQpoq0Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfXj2fq55euPxrtoGuCAer7%3D6qUgKZZgZqwEp6_neRYAcg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfXj2fq55euPxrtoGuCAer7%3D6qUgKZZgZqwEp6_neRYAcg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAM0wra8%3Ds5d3wb%3DsQP2OcNHaiVw-rDR6pm0x5yOEr6et8R_z6A%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAM0wra8%3Ds5d3wb%3DsQP2OcNHaiVw-rDR6pm0x5yOEr6et8R_z6A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c7bec13d-3bc6-f210-b4ce-a1b8f3bbfdbb%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c7bec13d-3bc6-f210-b4ce-a1b8f3bbfdbb%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

slightlyoff via Chromestatus

Mar 8, 2023, 11:40:27 AM3/8/23
to blin...@chromium.org
LGTM1

Rick Byers

Mar 8, 2023, 11:43:06 AM3/8/23
to slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blin...@chromium.org
Daniil, could you please file an issue on the spec saying that since it's in Firefox and now Chrome it should no longer be marked "at list"?

Assuming so, LGTM2

We discussed in API owners meeting that we don't need to block on standards positions in this case (Interop2023 feature) but will follow up off list to verify.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 11:40 AM slightlyoff via Chromestatus <admin+sl...@cr-status.appspotmail.com> wrote:
LGTM1

Yoav Weiss

Mar 8, 2023, 12:11:53 PM3/8/23
to Rick Byers, slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM3

I wish we had a developer signal for this, but given we're following Gecko here, that's not a blocker IMO.

Daniil Sakhapov

Mar 13, 2023, 6:17:25 AM3/13/23
to blink-dev, Rick Byers, blin...@chromium.org, slightlyoff via Chromestatus
Hi! I assume you meant "as risk"? Yes, I'll do it.

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 5:43:06 PM UTC+1 Rick Byers wrote:
Daniil, could you please file an issue on the spec saying that since it's in Firefox and now Chrome it should no longer be marked "at list"?

Assuming so, LGTM2

We discussed in API owners meeting that we don't need to block on standards positions in this case (Interop2023 feature) but will follow up off list to verify.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 11:40 AM slightlyoff via Chromestatus <admin+slightlyoff@cr-status.appspotmail.com> wrote:
LGTM1

Mike Taylor

Mar 13, 2023, 10:08:51 AM3/13/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev, Rick Byers, slightlyoff via Chromestatus

LGTM3, with the spec issue filed.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/11a1317c-5623-449f-9fad-c9cdcef794fcn%40chromium.org.

Mike Taylor

Mar 13, 2023, 10:09:37 AM3/13/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev, Rick Byers, slightlyoff via Chromestatus

Whoops, this already has 3 LGTMs - now you have 4. :)

Mike Taylor

Mar 13, 2023, 10:17:30 AM3/13/23
to Domenic Denicola, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss

On 3/1/23 11:59 PM, Mike Taylor wrote:

On 3/1/23 3:41 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 10:14 PM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:

Can you file a WebKit position?

I wonder if this might not be necessary for features that are part of Interop 2023? I think given the veto process in how that list is assembled, that guarantees at least a "neutral" position from all vendors. (Knowing whether WebKit feels "positive" or "neutral" about the feature might be interesting, but doesn't feel like a great use of our or their time, at least for small features like this.)

I like this idea, but let's move this part of the discussion to blink-api-owners-discuss@ (I can start a thread), and we can circle back with an update on the consensus view.

The API OWNERS (Alex, Chris, Rick, Yoav, Philip, Daniel, me... hopefully not leaving anyone out) discussed this in our last meeting. After consulting with WebKit and Mozilla, and not receiving a super enthusiastic response to the proposal, we've decided to keep the process as-is for Interop 2023 features and keep requesting positions.

thanks,
Mike

Daniil Sakhapov

Mar 14, 2023, 11:14:05 AM3/14/23
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Domenic Denicola