[RESPONSE REQUESTED] What's in Chrome 96?

Joe Medley

Sep 30, 2021, 12:51:53 PM9/30/21
to blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
Gang,

I apologize for sending this a week late.

Chrome 96 is planned for beta on October 21. Developer Relations needs information to help us plan. We want a complete list of everything in Chrome beta for the beta post. We try when possible to have articles for important new features on web.dev.

Please let me know of anything that might be shipping in Chrome 96 or 97. I don't care if it's a new API, a bug to add a missing interface member, a spec change or whatever. I need to know all of it. If you have any questions about this, just ask, or refer to the FAQ in my communication instructions.

Also, please make sure your Chrome Status entries reflect the current state of your feature. Origin trial and shipping milestone numbers may be edited by clicking the "Edit all fields" link and scrolling down the page.

The list of what I currently believe to be shipping is in this spreadsheet. For those who can't reach it, here's a summary.

(Deprecations and removals are in red.)

103 Early Hints for Navigation
Add support for Promise to Blobs in clipboard item
App history API
Attribution Reporting API
Auto-expand details elements
(Block external protocol in sandboxed iframe.)
Capability Delegation
COEP for shared worker
Conditional Focus
Cross-Origin-Embedder-Policy: credentialless
CSS :autofill Pseudo Class
EME MediaKeySession Closed Reason
fetch() upload streaming
File Handling
File Handling Icons
HTTP->HTTPS redirect for HTTPS DNS records
preferCurrentTab
Preserve PNG metadata
Priority Hints
PWA manifest unique id - desktop
Service Worker subresource filter
Storage Foundation API
(The "basic-card" method of PaymentRequest API)
URL Protocol Handler Registration for PWAs
WebAssembly Reference Types
WebTransport
Window Controls Overlay for Installed Desktop Web Apps
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Diego Gonzalez

Oct 4, 2021, 4:26:45 PM10/4/21
to blink-dev, Joe Medley, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
Hola Joe,

Just in case this info is useful to you for the post, I wanted to let you know Window Controls Overlay was planned to launch in 96 but we added an extra cycle to the OT and now it is launching in 97.

Also missing from this list is URL Handlers, which is expected in 97, even though there are changes coming to the feature to be substituted by `handle_links` `scope_extensions` and `launch_handler`.

-Diego

Joe Medley

Oct 5, 2021, 10:36:02 AM10/5/21
to Diego Gonzalez, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
This is exactly the kind of information I need.

When a feature leaves an origin trial, I announce in the first version where it's enabled by default.

URLHandlers: is that this? Is its origin trial also being extended? Its Chrome Status entry says it shipped in 95, which means I announced it in the Chrome 95 beta post. (This is why I'm so naggy about keeping these things up to date.)

Joe

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Diego González

Oct 5, 2021, 12:28:58 PM10/5/21
to blink-dev, Joe Medley, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, luig...@microsoft.com
Hola Joe,

No, the feature you link to is Protocol Handlers. The one I am referring to is URL Handling.  This is the relevant Chrome OT entry

Diego

Adam Argyle

Oct 5, 2021, 12:40:31 PM10/5/21
to Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
Looks like prefers-contrast will ship with 96 or 97 👍🏻

Joe Medley

Oct 6, 2021, 9:54:29 AM10/6/21
to Diego González, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, luig...@microsoft.com
Thank you.

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Anupam Snigdha

Oct 6, 2021, 5:27:18 PM10/6/21
to Joe Medley, Diego González, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, luig...@microsoft.com
Hey Joe,

I don't think I would be able to land the change for Add support for Promise to Blobs in clipboard item by tomorrow so this probably is not going to ship in 96. I'll make the changes in the status entry as well.

-Anupam

Joe Medley

Oct 7, 2021, 11:43:00 AM10/7/21
to Anupam Snigdha, Diego González, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, luig...@microsoft.com
Anupam,

Thank you for letting me know. This is off my list.

Joe
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Joe Medley

Oct 12, 2021, 12:06:17 PM10/12/21
to Daisuke Enomoto, Anupam Snigdha, Diego González, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, luig...@microsoft.com
Daisuke,

Thank you for letting me know.

FYI, the status entry for back-forward on desktop says it shipped in 92. This is our fault. I'm guessing it started a dev or origin trial in that version. We had outdated instructions giving the impression that the shipping milestone fields applied to dev and origin trial as well.

I have the two items on my list now. I'll watch for merges on their tracking bugs and for LGTMs on blink-dev@.

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 8:00 AM Daisuke Enomoto <deno...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hello Joe,

We decided to land the shipping CLs after addressing TAG review comments, so WebTransport won't ship in M96.
There are two items currently not on your list: Back-forward cache on Android and Back-forward cache on Desktop we plan to ship in M96. I'll make the changes in the chromestatus entry.

Thanks
Daisuke

Daisuke Enomoto