PSA: Add "window-management" as an alias for permission and permission policy "window-placement"

Brad Triebwasser

Jan 6, 2023, 9:02:23 AM1/6/23
to blin...@chromium.org, ajayra...@google.com, mo...@google.com, Mike Wasserman

Hello blink-dev,

I would like to distribute this PSA for a pending change which introduces a new alias "window-management" for existing permission and permission-policy strings "window-placement". This is the first step of an effort to align with the spec definition and will lead to a deprecation and removal of the old one in a subsequent update after we observe via UMA metrics that developers have transitioned to the new strings.

Contact emails

btr...@chromium.org

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/window-placement/#api-permission-api-integration

Design docs

https://github.com/w3c/window-placement/blob/main/EXPLAINER_spec_and_permission_rename.md

Summary

Adds "window-management" as an alias for "window-placement" permission and permission-policy strings. This is part of a larger effort to rename the strings by eventually deprecating and removing "window-placement". The terminology change improves the longevity of the descriptor as the Window Management API evolves over time.

Blink component

Blink>Screen>MultiScreen

TAG review

N/A. No API surface or structure change here.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

There are no compatibility risks. This change simply adds an alias for a permission.

Gecko: No signal

Firefox has not implemented the API and corresponding "window-placement" permission yet.

WebKit: No signal

Safari has not implemented the API and corresponding "window-placement" permission yet.

Web developers: We have communicated internally with partners using the API who have expressed commitment to updating the permission strings in their code.

Other signals: Positive comment from W3C WG Chair

WebView application risks

This is considered low risk. It adds an alias without any change in behavior of the underlying API.

Debuggability

There is no change in debuggability of the window management API with the new permission alias.

No, the permission is currently not supported on Android nor Android WebView

Yes

Flag name

WindowManagementPermissionAlias

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1328581

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop

111

Anticipated spec changes

The spec and permission registry have already been updated with the new permission strings.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5146352391028736