[blink-dev] Intent to deprecate and remove: -webkit-font-size-delta

Hyunjune Kim

Aug 19, 2020, 3:40:20 PM8/19/20
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

hjki...@gmail.com
hyunju...@samsung.com
pjh...@gmail.com

Summary and Motivation
Deprecate and remove -webkit-font-size-delta[1], Because the usage of this property is low[2]
And this property is non-standard[3].
On the basis of the above, we make this intent to remove this property.

CL by HyunJi Kim : https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/2358723

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk
Firefox: Not supported
Webkit: supported

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers
Use the 'font-size', because  '-webkit-font-size-delta' is currently being overridden[4] if 'font-size' is specified.

Usage information from UseCounter
The usage is estimated as 0.007%[2]

[2] https://chromestatus.com/metrics/css/timeline/popularity/241
[4] core/editing/editing_style.cc - EditingStyle::ExtractFontSizeDelta

Yoav Weiss

Aug 20, 2020, 3:52:49 AM8/20/20
to blink-dev
This seems similar to https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/p1D2Fj8WTe0/p6uQY-oACAAJ only requesting for removal as well.
As we already started discussing removal on the other thread, I suggest we'd ignore this one as a duplicate.

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 9:40:20 PM UTC+2, Hyunjune Kim wrote:

Primary eng (and PM) emails

hjki...@gmail.com