Timeline for Removal of Sync XHR

Dwayne Nickels

Aug 31, 2021, 4:31:58 PM8/31/21
to blink-dev
I was wondering if there is any high level timeframe for general removal of sync XHR?  e.g. 1 year?  5 years?  10 years?

We have a large enterprise client application that makes many sync XHR requests.  We've been replacing these calls with async calls as timing permits.  For planning purposes, it would be good to know how long of a runway that we have before sync XHR becomes desupported.

I know that sync XHR in page dismissal has been removed (https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/LnqwTCiT9Gs/m/tO0IBO4PAwAJ).  The meeting notes at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G4-oIXQBcqysk4PNHBzCE4XAaGURipPTbajfx5iDIRc/edit# allude to this removal as being a step in the overall strategy for completely desupporting sync XHR.  Any insight into the next steps and overall timeline (even if it's a guess) would be appreciated.