Intent to Ship: Payment handler minimal header UX

Rouslan Solomakhin

Sep 8, 2023, 1:09:57 PM9/8/23
to blink-dev, Stephen Mcgruer, Nick Burris, kavit...@chromium.org
Contact emails
nbu...@chromium.org

Explainer
https://crbug.com/1385136 - see comment 14 for screenshot

Specification
Not applicable

Design docs
(Google internal only, sorry): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hCIzyBALzpFPuHQ_xCNvIpSrMThq8PA6Qgi0M2iF9vk/edit?resourcekey=0-VMUV90L2bb2OqlrBVepW4A#heading=h.bat9awopsp53

Summary
This is a refresh of the browser UI associated with the Payment Handler API. There are no API changes. The origin trial is concluding and we'd like to ship this feature in M119. See R2E for more details.

Blink component
Blink>Payments

TAG review
Not applicable

TAG review status
Not applicable

Risks
Interoperability and Compatibility
None.

Gecko: N/A
WebKit: N/A
Web developers: No signals
Other signals: No signals

WebView application risks
None

No

Debuggability
N/A because it is a UI-only change.

No. Only desktop platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS.

No, because this is a UI-only change.

Flag name
PaymentHandlerMinimalHeaderUX

Finch feature name
None

Non-finch justification
None

Requires code in //chrome?
True

Estimated milestones
Shipping on desktop: 119

Anticipated spec changes
N/A, because there is no spec for a UI-only change.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5079275637571584

Links to previous Intent discussions
Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/NQ-WLvfmPs8/m/hDKJNnmOBgAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Mike Taylor

Sep 13, 2023, 10:46:58 AM9/13/23
to Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev, Stephen Mcgruer, Nick Burris, kavit...@chromium.org

LGTM1 (I'm not sure you need our approvals to ship this UX change, but you can have mine).

Daniel Bratell

Sep 13, 2023, 11:50:01 AM9/13/23
to Mike Taylor, Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev, Stephen Mcgruer, Nick Burris, kavit...@chromium.org

LGTM2 (Also not sure you need this approval, but you can have mine as well)

/Daniel

Stephen Mcgruer

Sep 13, 2023, 11:50:14 AM9/13/23
to Mike Taylor, Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev, Nick Burris, kavit...@chromium.org
Thanks Mike! We were following through on the I2S process because we did an I2E for this feature as a way to let folks verify that the UX change wouldn't cause regressions.

I still think that is correct as follow-through, but we could probably have made it clearer than we hope this I2S will be a rubber stamp for API owners. (Or... maybe we should have just sent a PSA? Anyhow, we are here now).

Rick Byers

Sep 14, 2023, 4:01:17 AM9/14/23
to Stephen Mcgruer, Mike Taylor, Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev, Nick Burris, kavit...@chromium.org
LGTM3 as not subject to blink process.  But thanks for the heads up!