Intent to Ship: Private Aggregation API: increase contribution limit to 100 for Protected Audience callers

Dan McArdle

Sep 24, 2024, 11:26:59 AMSep 24
to blink-dev

Contact emails

dmca...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/private-aggregation-api/pull/138

Specification

https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/private-aggregation-api/pull/150

Summary

Enables Protected Audience script runners to make up to 100 contributions per Private Aggregation report, compared to the current limit of 20. Private Aggregation limits the number of histogram contributions that can be embedded in a single aggregatable report, dropping any additional contributions. Shared Storage callers can work around the limit by invoking another Shared Storage operation. However, Protected Audience callers have no persistent storage, so they lose their excess contributions at the end of their auction. Note that this change is privacy neutral as the API's contributions are still limited by the same privacy budget. Due to padding, each Protected Audience report will have a larger payload, even if it did not need the larger contribution limit. We expect that these larger reports will increase the cost of operating the Aggregation Service. Please reach out with any feedback.

Blink component

Blink>PrivateAggregation

TAG review

https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/846 (We have not requested a signal for these changes specifically.)

TAG review status

Declined

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/805) We have not requested a signal for this change specifically. The Gecko position on Shared Storage (one of the ways Private Aggregation is exposed) is negative.

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/189) We have not requested a signal for this change specifically.

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/private-aggregation-api/issues/81)

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

No new debug capabilities beyond the existing internals page (chrome://private-aggregation-internals) and temporary debug mode. These capabilities will reflect the merged contributions.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

All but WebView

Yes

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

PrivateAggregationApi100ContributionsForProtectedAudience

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/360160864

Launch bug

https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4336057

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop131
Shipping on Android131

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5114676393017344?gate=5096059924381696

Daniel Bratell

Oct 2, 2024, 12:05:43 PMOct 2
to Dan McArdle, blink-dev

I admit to not being the most versed in Private Aggregation, but I wonder why there is a limit at all? You say it might "increase the cost of operating the Aggregation Service", but that connection is not clear to me when you also say that people could work around the limit already.

/Daniel

Dan McArdle

Oct 2, 2024, 4:57:10 PMOct 2
to blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, Dan McArdle

Hi, Daniel!

First, a little background. Sites make Private Aggregation contributions from within isolated contexts, where they have access to cross-site data. The browser sends these contributions back to the site that made them via a report’s encrypted payload. Although the site’s reporting endpoint cannot decrypt incoming payloads (that is the Aggregation Service’s job), it can still see the length of the encrypted payloads.

We need the encrypted payload to have a fixed size to prevent sites from leaking cross-site data. To achieve a fixed size, we limit the number of contributions and pad reports with null contributions if the limit is not reached.

As for the workaround that I mentioned in the first message — sending more contributions in a second report — only Shared Storage callers can do this. That’s why this I2S proposes increasing the number of contributions per report for Protected Audience callers alone.

The increased costs come in because more contributions per report means larger encrypted reports, and thus more computation/storage on the Aggregation Service.

Thanks for the questions! Hope this helps.

-Dan

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

Oct 2, 2024, 10:30:28 PMOct 2
to Dan McArdle, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell
That's extremely useful, thanks!!

Can you expand on the size of the payloads in question? I'm assuming we'd now be seeing 5x larger payloads, but I'm not sure what's the order of magnitude we're talking about here.

Dan McArdle

Oct 3, 2024, 2:58:41 PMOct 3
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, Dan McArdle
That’s correct! In isolation, cleartext payloads will be ~5x larger.

In terms of magnitude, typical report sizes will increase from ~1.5 KiB to ~6 KiB. (Double these estimates when debug mode is enabled.)

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

Oct 4, 2024, 1:43:03 AMOct 4
On Thu, Oct 3, 2024 at 8:58 PM Dan McArdle <dmca...@chromium.org> wrote:
That’s correct! In isolation, cleartext payloads will be ~5x larger.

In terms of magnitude, typical report sizes will increase from ~1.5 KiB to ~6 KiB. (Double these estimates when debug mode is enabled.)

OK, that's not awful.
One more annoying question - can the reporting endpoint distinguish between actual payload and padding using compression?
In other words, will the lengths differ if the payload was compressed?

Dan McArdle

Oct 4, 2024, 2:48:20 PMOct 4
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, Dan McArdle
No, the reporting endpoint can’t infer the number of null contributions. Critically, the browser pads the payload before encrypting it with the Aggregation Service’s public key. That ciphertext is sent to the reporting endpoint, so the performance of HTTP compression won’t vary depending on the number of null contributions.

Thanks for the questions!

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

Oct 5, 2024, 7:47:58 AMOct 5
to Dan McArdle, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell
LGTM1

Vladimir Levin

Oct 9, 2024, 11:36:53 AM (11 days ago) Oct 9
to Yoav Weiss (@Shopify), Dan McArdle, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell

Chris Harrelson

Oct 9, 2024, 11:40:56 AM (11 days ago) Oct 9
to Vladimir Levin, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify), Dan McArdle, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell