Intent to Ship: CSS Anchor Positioning: anchor-scope

Anders Hartvoll Ruud

May 23, 2024, 7:41:23 AMMay 23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

and...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-anchor-position-1/#anchor-scope

Summary

The anchor-scope property allows limiting the visibility of anchor names to a given subtree. This is important if you have multiple instances of the same component on the page, where each component wants to use anchor positioning separately, without interfering with the other instances. There is a good example in the spec.

Note: The anchor-scope property was omitted from the main CSS Anchor Positioning shipment in M125 due to our own time constraints.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/848 (Applies to CSS Anchor Positioning as a whole).

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Note: A concern about anchor-name scopes being too “wide” was raised. This is exactly what the anchor-scope property can address.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/794) (Applies to CSS Anchor Positioning as a whole).

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/167) (Applies to CSS Anchor Positioning as a whole).

Web developers: Strongly positive, for the feature as a whole. See Intent to Ship: CSS Anchor Positioning.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

Debuggable like any other CSS property.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Yes

https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-anchor-position?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=anchor-scope

Flag name on chrome://flags

None

Finch feature name

CSSAnchorScope

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://issues.chromium.org/issues/40281992

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop

127

Shipping on Android

127

Shipping on WebView

127

Anticipated spec changes

There is one relevant open issue:

I will make sure this is resolved and edited before we enable the feature.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5094192052436992?gate=5133228137775104

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

May 29, 2024, 4:25:42 AMMay 29
to blink-dev, Anders Hartvoll Ruud
LGTM1