Intent to Ship: Intersection Observer Scroll Margin

Traian Captan

Sep 25, 2023, 7:10:34 PM9/25/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

tca...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/IntersectionObserver/#dom-intersectionobserver-scrollmargin

Summary

Intersection Observer scrollMargin allows developers to observe targets inside nested scroll containers that are currently clipped away by the scroll containers. This is achieved by expanding the container's clipping rect by the scrollMargin when calculating the intersection.

Blink component

Blink

Search tags

Intersection ObserverscrollMargin

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/IntersectionObserver/issues/431)

WebKit: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/IntersectionObserver/issues/431)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/IntersectionObserver/issues/431)

Other signals:

Ergonomics

N/A

Activation

N/A

Security

N/A

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

N/A

Yes

Yes

Flag name on chrome://flags

IntersectionObserverScrollMargin

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

This feature is behind an enabled-by-default flag that can be disabled if needed.

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1469500

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop119
DevTrial on desktop119
Shipping on Android119
DevTrial on Android119
Shipping on WebView119

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5091020593430528

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAFxahvsWGzF5au6c5%2BfVrh1hOCq_Y0rY0VF_bsmO8VVysg3QTg%40mail.gmail.com

Alex Russell

Sep 29, 2023, 3:43:44 PM9/29/23
to blink-dev, Traian Captan
This looks relatively non-controversial, but why wasn't a TAG review requested?

Traian Captan

Sep 29, 2023, 5:23:17 PM9/29/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev
Hi Alex,

The much larger intersection observer feature went through a TAG review in https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/197, and this is only a minor addition to that.

Regards,
Traian

Traian Captan

Sep 29, 2023, 8:04:58 PM9/29/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev
Hi Alex,

Just in case, I file a TAG review issue:

Regards,
Traian

Mike Taylor

Oct 2, 2023, 5:11:19 PM10/2/23
to Traian Captan, Alex Russell, blink-dev

LGTM1

Yoav Weiss

Oct 4, 2023, 6:46:40 AM10/4/23
to blink-dev, Traian Captan

On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 1:10:34 AM UTC+2 Traian Captan wrote:

Summary

Intersection Observer scrollMargin allows developers to observe targets inside nested scroll containers that are currently clipped away by the scroll containers. This is achieved by expanding the container's clipping rect by the scrollMargin when calculating the intersection.

Blink componentBlink

Search tagsIntersection ObserverscrollMargin

TAG reviewNone

TAG review statusNot applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/IntersectionObserver/issues/431)

WebKit: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/IntersectionObserver/issues/431)

Do you know of Gecko and WebKit's implementation plans for this?

Traian Captan

Oct 4, 2023, 4:27:39 PM10/4/23
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
Hi Yoav,

I don't know of Gecko's and WebKit's concrete implementation plans for Intersection Observer Scroll Margin.
However, based on their responses on the github issue they were supportive.

Regards,
Traian

Yoav Weiss

Oct 5, 2023, 1:50:14 AM10/5/23
to Traian Captan, blink-dev
On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 10:27 PM Traian Captan <tca...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi Yoav,

I don't know of Gecko's and WebKit's concrete implementation plans for Intersection Observer Scroll Margin.
However, based on their responses on the github issue they were supportive.

Just wanted to note that we typically ask for official positions on the different vendors standard positions repo.
But given the fact that this is a change Mozilla folks requested and Apple folks consistently supported on the issue, I think it's fine to not file those in this case.

Yoav Weiss

Oct 11, 2023, 11:55:38 AM10/11/23
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Traian Captan
LGTM2

Alex Russell

Oct 11, 2023, 11:55:40 AM10/11/23
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Traian Captan
Given that the TAG didn't respond in two weeks, I'm going to LGTM1

Chris Harrelson

Oct 11, 2023, 12:08:01 PM10/11/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Traian Captan
LGTM3 that is :)

Traian Captan

Oct 11, 2023, 2:32:16 PM10/11/23
to Chris Harrelson, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss
Thank you all!