Intent to Extend Experiment: Extending Storage Access API (SAA) to non-cookie storage

Ari Chivukula

Mar 6, 2024, 11:31:52 AMMar 6
to blink-dev, Ben Kelly, Johann Hofmann, Chris Fredrickson, Kaustubha Govind

Contact emails

ari...@chromium.org, wande...@chromium.org, joha...@chromium.org, cfre...@chromium.org, kaust...@chromium.org

Specification

https://privacycg.github.io/saa-non-cookie-storage/

Feedback

https://github.com/privacycg/saa-non-cookie-storage/issues

Design Doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19qCGb4qwOcGiNrQM3ptWvRmB4JtpaTFgFVlWLXNOQ6c/edit

Intent to Prototype

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/inRN8tI49O0

Intent to Experiment

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/SEL7N-xIE5s/

Origin Trial

https://developer.chrome.com/origintrials/#/view_trial/577023702256844801

Summary

We propose extending the StorageAccessAPIBeyondCookies origin trial, which allows developers to test extensions to the Storage Access API that expose first-party communication/storage mechanisms beyond just cookies. We decided to extend the experiment based on a need for greater ecosystem feedback before shipping the proposed API.  We would like to request extending the end date from June 24, 2024 (M124) to August 6, 2024 (M125). We estimate that we will send the intent to ship for this API for M125 (pending feedback gathered from this extension).

Blink component

Blink>StorageAccessAPI

Motivation

Developers have indicated the extensions to the Storage Access API in this experiment are crucial to site functionality given Storage Partitioning has launched and the Storage Partitioning Deprecation Trial is currently slated to end in M126. We want to be sure to ship the right API, but some components were late to arrive (Shared Worker support was only added in M123). Given the increasing volume of interest in this API in the past month we should be as sure as possible what we are shipping is what’s needed, especially given the lack of adoption by other vendors to date.

TAG review

https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/906 (closed)

Compatibility

The Storage Access API is already implemented in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, but the proposed API shape would not change existing behavior without new arguments added.

Interoperability

Gecko: No Position Yet https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/898

WebKit: No Position Yet https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/262

Web developers: Positive

Debuggability

Storage written can be examined in devtools.

Yes

Tracking bug

https://issues.chromium.org/40282415

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5175585823522816

Mike Taylor

Mar 8, 2024, 5:06:16 PMMar 8
to Ari Chivukula, blink-dev, Ben Kelly, Johann Hofmann, Chris Fredrickson, Kaustubha Govind

I'm recused on this one, but even with the extension to 125, you're still not going beyond the default 6 milestones for an OT (the original request was for 120 to 124) - so the approval should be fairly trivial.

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

Mar 11, 2024, 12:32:41 AMMar 11
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Ben Kelly, Johann Hofmann, Chris Fredrickson, Kaustubha Govind, Ari Chivukula
LGTM to extend to M125 (inclusive)