Intent to Ship: line-break: anywhere

Javier Fernandez

Oct 1, 2019, 6:00:18 AM10/1/19
to blin...@chromium.org
jfern...@igalia.com https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1171 https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#valdef-line-break-anywhere The feature is very simple and it was discussed in the CSS WG. The 'line-break: anywhere' declaration allows soft wrapping around every typographic character unit, including around any punctuation character or preserved spaces, or in the middles of words. It disregards any prohibition against line breaks, even those introduced by characters with the GL, WJ, or ZWJ character class (see UAX 14) or mandated by the word-break property. https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/r7PkIqQDvlU/X0aocVo9BQAJ
Low compatibility risk. * Since 'line-break: anywhere' is new value it won’t break existing web. Low interoperability risk * The spec is still level 3, not as mature as we'd like. * New value agreed by the CSSWG with contributions of most of the main browser * All major browsers ship the feature and pass the Web Platform Tests with reasonable high results. Firefox: Shipped (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox/Releases/69#CSS) Shipped in Firefox 69 Edge: No public signals Safari: Shipped (https://webkit.org/blog/8967/release-notes-for-safari-technology-preview-83/) Shipped in Safari Technology Preview v83 Web developers: No signals This feature is very simple, just a new value of an already existent CSS property. Since this CSS property controls how the unicode rules are applied, it depends on the ICU API. There are no activation risks. The new CSS value is available and exposed to web authors and can be used as long as the CSS parser validates it. Not expected
Yes This feature isn't platform dependent. Yes There is a test suite currently under development, with a few tests available already. https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-text/line-break?label=experimental&label=master&aligned https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=720205 https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5668660729348096

Ian Kilpatrick

Oct 1, 2019, 12:54:44 PM10/1/19
to Javier Fernandez, blin...@chromium.org
How exhaustive do you consider this test suite?

Florian Rivoal

Oct 1, 2019, 7:46:16 PM10/1/19
to blink-dev, jfern...@igalia.com

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 1:54:44 AM UTC+9, Ian Kilpatrick wrote:

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:00 AM Javier Fernandez <jfern...@igalia.com> wrote:
[...]

The test suite for the whole spec still has some gaps, but for this property, and this particular value, it is quite reasonable. I've been tracking the coverage in https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/test-coverage, so you can have a look there at what's still considered missing. If you want to have a look at what's there already, the spec is annotated with wpt tags, so if you regenerate it with "bikeshed -f spec --md-wpt-display=inline", you'll see lots of inline annotations showing which normative statement is covered. Attaching the output to this mail for convenience.

I will be writing the missing parts in the nearish future, but I don't think there's anything that should block shipping.

—Florian

Overview.html

Javier Fernandez

Oct 2, 2019, 9:20:27 AM10/2/19
to blin...@chromium.org
Hi Ian,

On 1/10/19 18:54, 'Ian Kilpatrick' via blink-dev wrote:
Yes There is a test suite currently under development, with a few tests available already. https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-text/line-break?label=experimental&label=master&aligned

How exhaustive do you consider this test suite?

I admit that the test suite must be improved considerably, increasing the testing coverage and defining more complex test cases. However, I think it's clear that the suite is being actively maintained, as Florian said, and I'll add additional test cases for this and other line-breaking related properties soon, which will increase the coverage and completeness of the suite.

Daniel Bratell

Oct 2, 2019, 12:36:38 PM10/2/19
to Javier Fernandez, blin...@chromium.org

LGTM1 to ship

/Daniel

Chris Harrelson

Oct 2, 2019, 12:49:23 PM10/2/19
to Daniel Bratell, Javier Fernandez, blink-dev
LGTM2

Regarding testing: please follow up with Ian and make sure he is happy with the amount of testing before actually shipping.

Koji Ishii

Oct 2, 2019, 11:06:51 PM10/2/19
to Chris Harrelson, Daniel Bratell, Javier Fernandez, blink-dev
Non-owner +1, I think this is a good addition to the platform.

This was originally reported to us at https://crbug.com/720205, 2 duplicated reports and 8 starts.

The additional code is very small (less than 10 lines in layout), mostly just plumbing because we already have all the necessary foundations in place but the combination is not exposed today.

TAMURA, Kent

Oct 3, 2019, 4:07:18 AM10/3/19
to Koji Ishii, Chris Harrelson, Daniel Bratell, Javier Fernandez, blink-dev
LGTM3.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google