Re: Question about "component_deps_blink Assignment had no effect" build error on ios.

Kartar Singh

May 21, 2024, 11:22:28 AMMay 21
to clank-dev, bling...@google.com, chrome-infras...@google.com, blin...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org
+cc blin...@chromium.org Since the gn variable(component_deps_blink) is blink specific and +cc chromi...@chromium.org since the failing target is in mojo(mojom_core).

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 6:15 PM Kartar Singh <karta...@google.com> wrote:
Hey,

We have been trying to set up a new component(//components/input), to move input related code there. This(https://crrev.com/c/5541976) is the initial change that sets up the component and move few header and implementation files there. We see that the change was failing to build on `ios-simulator` bot with below error:
ERROR at //third_party/blink/public/mojom/BUILD.gn:1604:26: Assignment had no effect.
  component_deps_blink = [
                         ^
You set the variable "component_deps_blink" here and it was unused before it went
out of scope.
See //third_party/blink/public/mojom/BUILD.gn:1306:1: whence it was called.
mojom("mojom_core") {
^--------------------
See //third_party/blink/public/common/BUILD.gn:74:5: which caused the file to be included.
    "//third_party/blink/public/mojom:web_bluetooth_mojo_bindings",
    ^-------------------------------------------------------------
We narrowed it down to unit test dependency, i.e. not depending on the unittest of the new component on ios didn't cause the build failure somehow.

I have this(https://crrev.com/c/5547985) minimal CL on top of our component setup cl which repros the build error. Just wanted to reachout to get some pointers to help debug this further.

Regards,
Kartar

Colin Blundell

May 21, 2024, 11:25:12 AMMay 21
to Kartar Singh, clank-dev, bling...@google.com, chrome-infras...@google.com, blin...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org
I missed this in the CL review, sorry - you have a dependency on Blink in the component but iOS doesn't use Blink in its default build configuration. Try building the iOS files only if `use_blink` is true and also gating the addition of the unittest target as a components_unittests dep on `use_blink` being true. Note that the code used to be under //content, which is entirely gated by `use_blink`.

Best,

Colin

Kartar Singh

May 22, 2024, 10:22:06 AMMay 22
to Colin Blundell, clank-dev, bling...@google.com, blin...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org
Thanks Colin for the help, that was indeed the issue.