Intent to Implement and Ship: Fullscreen Capability Delegation

Mustaq Ahmed

Apr 21, 2022, 11:06:38 AM4/21/22
to blink-dev, Michael Wasserman

Contact emails

mus...@chromium.org, m...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/capability-delegation/spec.html

(Work in progress for fullscreen algorithm change: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/pull/28)

Design doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ax54Lf2W3_TovVOj35duKTbcOlXe-nJ-KQdWiy1Ye0c

Summary

This feature is based on the general delegation mechanism (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5708770829139968) shipped on M100.

Fullscreen Capability Delegation allows a Window to transfer the ability to call requestFullscreen() to another Window it trusts after relinquishing the transient user activation at the sender Window.

Blink component

Blink>Fullscreen

TAG review

Covered by the review for the general delegation mechanism: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/655

TAG review status

Covered by the approval for the general delegation mechanism: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/pull/23

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility risks remain unchanged from the general delegation mechanism; see that intent here: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/PHT_2X7oRBE/m/gR9UiZxBAQAJ

External signals

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/565, also see: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/issues/10)

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive (https://crbug.com/931966#c5)

Debuggability

This remains unchanged from the general intent: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/PHT_2X7oRBE/m/gR9UiZxBAQAJ

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Yes

Not yet

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=CapabilityDelegationFullscreenRequest

Requires code in //chrome?

Yes, work in progress

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1293083

Estimated milestone

103

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6441688242323456

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intents for the general delegation mechanism:

I2S (with Payment Request): https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/PHT_2X7oRBE/m/gR9UiZxBAQAJ

Mike Taylor

Apr 25, 2022, 3:29:29 PM4/25/22
to Mustaq Ahmed, Michael Wasserman, blink-dev
Hi Mustaq,

On 4/21/22 11:05 AM, Mustaq Ahmed wrote:

Contact emails

mus...@chromium.org, m...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/capability-delegation/spec.html

(Work in progress for fullscreen algorithm change: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/pull/28)

Design doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ax54Lf2W3_TovVOj35duKTbcOlXe-nJ-KQdWiy1Ye0c

Summary

This feature is based on the general delegation mechanism (https://chromestatus.com/feature/5708770829139968) shipped on M100.

Fullscreen Capability Delegation allows a Window to transfer the ability to call requestFullscreen() to another Window it trusts after relinquishing the transient user activation at the sender Window.

Does this only work for standard requestFullscreen, or will it work for webkitRequestFullscreen as well?

Blink component

Blink>Fullscreen

TAG review

Covered by the review for the general delegation mechanism: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/655

TAG review status

Covered by the approval for the general delegation mechanism: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/pull/23

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility risks remain unchanged from the general delegation mechanism; see that intent here: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/PHT_2X7oRBE/m/gR9UiZxBAQAJ

External signals

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/565, also see: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/issues/10)

I don't think these quite count as official Positive signals (but yes, the comments from Anne are promising!). Can we ping the standards-position issue and ask for one?

WebKit: No signal

Have we asked? I looked at the Payment Request, and it seems like we didn't, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. If not, can we?

Web developers: Positive (https://crbug.com/931966#c5)

Debuggability

This remains unchanged from the general intent: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/PHT_2X7oRBE/m/gR9UiZxBAQAJ

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Yes

Not yet

Is there something missing to test this (or capability detection in general), or is it just that you haven't written the WPTs yet?

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=CapabilityDelegationFullscreenRequest

Requires code in //chrome?

Yes, work in progress

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1293083

Estimated milestone

103

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6441688242323456

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intents for the general delegation mechanism:

I2S (with Payment Request): https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/PHT_2X7oRBE/m/gR9UiZxBAQAJ

Ajay Rahatekar

May 8, 2022, 11:07:02 PM5/8/22
to blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, Mike Wasserman, blink-dev, mus...@chromium.org
+Ajay Rahatekar

Mustaq Ahmed

May 9, 2022, 5:05:15 PM5/9/22
to Mike Taylor, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev, Mike Wasserman
Hi Mike:

Sorry for the delay due to vacation etc!  Below are my answers to your queries.  Note that we are still asking for M103, so we will be prompt now :)

> Does this only work for standard requestFullscreen, or will it work for webkitRequestFullscreen as well?

This covers all forms: we are proposing changes in the core algorithm for request-fullscreen, regardless of the JS interface used to call it.

>> Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/565, also see: https://github.com/WICG/capability-delegation/issues/10)
> I don't think these quite count as official Positive signals (but yes, the comments from Anne are promising!). Can we ping the standards-position issue and ask for one?

See the recent comments in the issue asking for Gecko's position, thanks.

>> WebKit: No signal
> Have we asked? I looked at the Payment Request, and it seems like we didn't, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. If not, can we?

I missed this with the intent for payment, sorry!  Filed a single request to cover both payment and fullscreen capabilities:

>> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests?
>> Not yet
> Is there something missing to test this (or capability detection in general), or is it just that you haven't written the WPTs yet?

We hadn't written a WPT at that time.  We have one under review now:

Mustaq

Mike Taylor

May 9, 2022, 6:37:23 PM5/9/22
to Mustaq Ahmed, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev, Mike Wasserman
Hey Mustaq - welcome back. :)

Thanks for the answers, and for requesting the missing WebKit position.

LGTM1

Mike West

May 11, 2022, 1:38:01 AM5/11/22
to Mike Taylor, Mustaq Ahmed, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev, Mike Wasserman

Daniel Bratell

May 11, 2022, 2:30:15 AM5/11/22
to Mike West, Mike Taylor, Mustaq Ahmed, Ajay Rahatekar, blink-dev, Mike Wasserman