Intent to Implement: Notification action buttons

John Mellor

Jul 24, 2015, 12:40:14 PM7/24/15
to blink-dev

Contact emails

joh...@chromium.org

Spec

https://github.com/whatwg/notifications/issues/44 (will be formalized before shipping)

Summary

Support for the NotificationOptions.actions and Notification.actions properties, which allow authors to show action buttons alongside a notification.

Motivation

These allow users to quickly handle the most common tasks for a particular notification, without having to open the originating website.

Compatibility Risk

Firefox: Public support

Internet Explorer: No public signals

Safari: No public signals

Web developers: Strongly positive

Availability and presentation of action buttons may vary across platforms, for example Android 4.1+ and iOS 8+ natively support action buttons, but Windows 10 does not.

Developers will be able to detect this using the Notification.maxSupportedActions property. Additionally, the spec will recommend that authors provide equivalent functionality via alternative UI that can be reached by clicking on the notification body.

Ongoing technical constraints

The Notification.actions attribute is of type FrozenArray<>, which is not yet supported by Blink. I'm investigating what it'll take for us to support that.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux,

Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

All except WebView, since notifications aren't yet supported there. Chrome already renders its own notifications on desktop, so this will be supported even on platforms that don't natively support action buttons.

OWP launch tracking bug

Link to entry on the Chromium Dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5906566364528640

Requesting approval to ship?

No

PhistucK

Jul 24, 2015, 1:54:37 PM7/24/15
to John Mellor, blink-dev

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:39 PM, 'John Mellor' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Web developers: Strongly positive

Care to provide a link?

PhistucK

Peter Beverloo

Jul 27, 2015, 8:17:10 AM7/27/15
to PhistucK, John Mellor, blink-dev
We received a significant amount of feedback from sites that are adopting the Web Notification API, and were missing the ability for their notifications to display quick action buttons, whereas their native apps were able to do so. Given the number of native notifications that employ actions to provide immediate access to frequent actions, this makes a lot of sense.

I realize that this is not exactly what you're looking for, but then again, what'd you expect to find on such a link? :-)

Thanks,
Peter

Paul Kinlan

Jul 27, 2015, 8:56:51 AM7/27/15
to Peter Beverloo, PhistucK, John Mellor, blink-dev
We (Chrome DevRel have always promised and not delivered in a while) to do more with surveys. I wonder if there are avenues to explore still around this: A lot of our feedback has been from private partners and email threads where it is particularly hard to document..... I know Jake Archibald loves MS's User Voice work, and there are other options available too.

Anyway, I will go off and have a think.

PhistucK

Jul 27, 2015, 9:22:49 AM7/27/15
to Peter Beverloo, John Mellor, blink-dev
A blog post calling out this current deficiency and a lot of "Me, too!" comments (or multiple blog posts with a few "Me, too!" comments), would be a nice link for a start. A user voice link (of other browsers) with a lot of votes. A feature request on crbug.com with many stars.
There are ways to show support.

If you get these requests, it would be helpful to surface them using the issue tracker (the easiest one to control) and ask these people to file a feature request or star existing ones.

PhistucK

Jeroen Hermans

Sep 10, 2015, 2:00:57 PM9/10/15
to blink-dev, pe...@chromium.org, joh...@google.com