Intent to Ship: WebAssembly extended-const Proposal

Lutz Vahl

Mar 6, 2023, 6:39:24 AM3/6/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

mano...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const/blob/main/proposals/extended-const/Overview.md

Specification

https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const

Summary

We implement the WebAssembly extended-const proposal according to https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const.

Specifically, we add i32.add, i32.sub, i32.mul, i64.add, i64.sub and i64.mul to the list of constant instructions.

Blink component

Blink>JavaScript>WebAssembly

TAG review

Not needed in our view, as this is a very small change to existing functionality.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

N/A. The WebAssembly spec reached Phase 4, therefore engines will implement it.

Debuggability

Yes

WebAssembly Spec Tests: https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const/tree/main/test

Flag name

Experimental WebAssembly

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Estimated milestones

M113 behind a flag, M114 as default

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=12089

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop

113

DevTrial on Android

113

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5131077456232448

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Yoav Weiss

Mar 8, 2023, 8:01:06 AM3/8/23
to Lutz Vahl, blink-dev
LGTM1

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Mar 8, 2023, 10:12:42 AM3/8/23
to Yoav Weiss, Lutz Vahl, blink-dev
LGTM2.

On 08/03/2023 14:00, Yoav Weiss wrote:
> LGTM1
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 12:39 PM Lutz Vahl <va...@chromium.org
> <mailto:va...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>

> Contact emails
>
> mano...@google.com <mailto:mano...@google.com>
>

> Explainer
>
> https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const/blob/main/proposals/extended-const/Overview.md <https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const/blob/main/proposals/extended-const/Overview.md
>

> Specification
>
> https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const
> <https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const>
>

> Summary
>
> We implement the WebAssembly extended-const proposal according
> tohttps://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const
> <https://github.com/WebAssembly/extended-const>.
>
> Specifically, we add i32.add, i32.sub, i32.mul, i64.add, i64.sub and
> i64.mul to the list of constant instructions.
>

> Blink component
>
> Blink>JavaScript>WebAssembly
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EJavaScript%3EWebAssembly>
>

> TAG review
>
> Not needed in our view, as this is a very small change to existing
> functionality.
>

> Risks
>

> Interoperability and Compatibility
>
> N/A. The WebAssembly spec
> <https://github.com/WebAssembly/proposals#phase-4---standardize-the-feature-wg>reached Phase 4, therefore engines will implement it.
>

> Debuggability
>

> Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
> (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
>
> Yes
>

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
> <https://chromestatus.com/>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH0ixBN2UjgnumxjSWj0GX0GgKJL0mtEinbr-NRWHwpvjth8fA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAH0ixBN2UjgnumxjSWj0GX0GgKJL0mtEinbr-NRWHwpvjth8fA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfVgZCURALU28Q9%2BUL5mrSqT551wFSUZ0jpfvEkb_AGCrQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfVgZCURALU28Q9%2BUL5mrSqT551wFSUZ0jpfvEkb_AGCrQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Russell

Mar 8, 2023, 11:35:07 AM3/8/23
to blink-dev, Manuel Rego, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Lutz Vahl
LGTM3