Intent to Implement and Ship: CSS Logical Properties, Inline/Block size

Xing

Dec 16, 2016, 2:01:52 AM12/16/16
to blink-dev
xin...@intel.com https://drafts.csswg.org/css-logical-props/ Implement {inline-,block-}size and {min-,max-}{inline-,block-}size, which are introduced by CSS Logical Properties.
The related properties are: inline-size, block-size , min-inline-size,min-block-size, max-inline-size, max-block-size
Provide the author with the ability to control layout through logical, rather than physical, direction and dimension mappings.

Firefox: Shipped Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals
Reference:
None. None.
Yes. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=538475 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/6325742262550528 Yes.

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 16, 2016, 10:03:14 AM12/16/16
to Xing, blink-dev
LGTM1, thanks for driving this!

Rick Byers

Dec 16, 2016, 10:25:03 AM12/16/16
to Philip Jägenstedt, Xing, blink-dev, Geoffrey Sneddon, Boris Zbarsky
LGTM2

For others who haven't seen the related thread - these are just aliases of our existing prefixed -webkit-{min,max}-logical-{width,height} properties.

Unfortunately there don't appear to be any tests for this spec in csswg-test - the only hits I find are in vendor-imports/mozilla/ (maybe worth checking to see if we pass those tests once this is added?).  Perhaps we have LayoutTests tests for  -webkit-{min,max}-logical-{width,height} we could easily update and upstream to csswg-test?

Rick

PhistucK

Dec 16, 2016, 10:28:38 AM12/16/16
to Rick Byers, Philip Jägenstedt, Xing, blink-dev, Geoffrey Sneddon, Boris Zbarsky
Only partially related, but Mozilla people mentioned that they have CSS Grid tests that use those properties extensively, so maybe those could be useful as well (it will test both of the features, yes, but more tests are better than less tests ;)).

PhistucK

Dimitri Glazkov

Dec 16, 2016, 10:38:09 AM12/16/16
to Rick Byers, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM3

Christian Biesinger

Dec 16, 2016, 1:03:12 PM12/16/16
to Dimitri Glazkov, Rick Byers, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
For reference, from the CSSWG thread:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Dec/0065.html

It seems implied that they were ok with it for Firefox and presumably
are OK with it for us as well.

Christian