Intent to Ship: PointerEvent.deviceId for Mult-Pen Inking

Sahir Vellani

Oct 4, 2023, 7:44:05 PM10/4/23
to Abridged recipients, Olga Gerchikov, Alex Russell

Contact emails

Explainer

Specification

Summary

As devices with advanced pen input capabilities are becoming increasingly prevalent, it is important that the web platform continues to evolve to fully support these advanced features in order to unlock rich experiences for both end users and developers. One such advancement is the ability for a device's digitizer to recognize more than one pen device interacting with it simultaneously. This feature is an extension to the PointerEvent interface to include a new attribute, deviceId, that represents a session-persistent, document isolated, unique identifier that a developer can reliably use to identify individual pens interacting with the page.

Blink component

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending. TAG review has been pending for 2 months.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/715)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/102)

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

No

No. However, there are web tests in Chromium that test PointerEventInit with this feature.

Flag name on chrome://flags

PointerEventDeviceId

Finch feature name

Non-finch justification

Edge origin trials successfully underway.

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Measurement

PointerEventDeviceId use counter implemented.

Availability expectation

Initially available on Chromium browsers on Windows.

Adoption expectation

Feature is used by specific partner(s) to provide functionality immediately upon launch.

Adoption plan

This feature has been through origin trials on Edge. It is being used by partners that provide features on devices with multi pen support.

Non-OSS dependencies

Does the feature depend on any code or APIs outside the Chromium open source repository and its open-source dependencies to function?

Operating system API's are used to obtain the device id, and are necessary for this feature to function. Please see the security questionnaire in the TAG review on security and privacy concerns related to the use of these APIs.

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop
120

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

WICG Proposal: https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/101 No web compat/interop risk.

Links to previous Intent discussions

Mike Taylor

Oct 6, 2023, 12:03:35 PM10/6/23
to Sahir Vellani, Abridged recipients, Olga Gerchikov, Alex Russell
Any Origin Trial feedback you can share?

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Measurement

PointerEventDeviceId use counter implemented.

Availability expectation

Initially available on Chromium browsers on Windows.
Out of curiosity, are there limitations on other platforms that prevent supporting this feature?

[...]

Sahir Vellani

Oct 6, 2023, 2:10:30 PM10/6/23
to blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, Sahir Vellani
Absolutely, the feature has been working well. Our partners (Microsoft Whiteboard) have enabled the feature that is dependent on this API for their general audience! We did not receive any constructive feedback. This API is being used by them on Microsoft Surface Hub devices, which support multi-pen inking.

Requires code in //chrome?
False

Measurement
PointerEventDeviceId use counter implemented.

Availability expectation
Initially available on Chromium browsers on Windows.
Out of curiosity, are there limitations on other platforms that prevent supporting this feature?

We haven't been able to get our hands on hardware that supports other platforms in addition to multi pen inking in order to implement and appropriately test this feature. We welcome any sponsors for implementing and testing this, especially on Linux/Android.

Daniel Bratell

Oct 11, 2023, 7:59:15 AM10/11/23
to Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell

I see that various mandatory steps in chromestatus (privacy,security,enterprise,debuggability,testing) seems to be unstarted. It is possible they were made mandatory after you create the entry, but it would be good if you could get them started now at least.

Also, it's unfortunate that TAG and standards positions requests have not resulted in anything, but that is hardly your fault. There were some questions in the WebKit request. Is all that ok now?

/Daniel

Sahir Vellani

Oct 15, 2023, 2:07:23 PM10/15/23
to blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, mike...@chromium.org, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, Sahir Vellani
Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't aware they were mandatory. The steps have been started, just awaiting feedback from Security and Privacy reviewers. I've received LGTMs for all other areas. After our response to WebKit's question, they did not have any further follow-up questions. So I'm assuming all is well.

Mike Taylor

Oct 16, 2023, 6:43:00 PM10/16/23
to Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell

Yoav Weiss

On 2023-10-06 20:10, 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev wrote:

Is there a more formal spec for this?
Any support outside of Microsoft that would enable y'all to move this to the WICG?

Mike Taylor

Oct 18, 2023, 11:55:05 AM10/18/23
to Yoav Weiss, Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell

Apologies, I missed that there wasn't yet a spec. I'll retract my LGTM until then.

Alex Russell

Oct 18, 2023, 11:55:43 AM10/18/23
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, sahir....@microsoft.com, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, Mike Taylor, ann...@microsoft.com
I agree that this needs a spec PR and the explainer should at least migrate to WICG before we agree to ship. Also, can you please link to the TAG review?

Best,

Alex

Sahir Vellani

Jan 11, 2024, 6:08:16 PMJan 11
to blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, mike...@chromium.org, ann...@microsoft.com
Hi all, good news!

Reviving this thread because we have accomplished:
2. WICG Repository for standardization discussions. Link to explainer in WICG Repo:  pointer-event-extensions/pointer-event-device-id-explainer.md at main · WICG/pointer-event-extensions (github.com)
3. A PR against the PointerEvent spec with proposed changes:  Add deviceId to PointerEvent spec by sahirv · Pull Request #495 · w3c/pointerevents (github.com) We will be waiting for Spec Level 3 to come out before this can be merged; but this provides an official starting point for the standardized description of this feature. Based on the feedback received, I don't anticipate any major changes to the design.

Reviewers, can we please get another review for shipping this feature?

Vladimir Levin

Jan 17, 2024, 9:51:59 AMJan 17
to Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, mike...@chromium.org, ann...@microsoft.com
On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 6:08 PM 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi all, good news!

Reviving this thread because we have accomplished:
2. WICG Repository for standardization discussions. Link to explainer in WICG Repo:  pointer-event-extensions/pointer-event-device-id-explainer.md at main · WICG/pointer-event-extensions (github.com)
3. A PR against the PointerEvent spec with proposed changes:  Add deviceId to PointerEvent spec by sahirv · Pull Request #495 · w3c/pointerevents (github.com) We will be waiting for Spec Level 3 to come out before this can be merged; but this provides an official starting point for the standardized description of this feature. Based on the feedback received, I don't anticipate any major changes to the design.

For posterity, I was initially unsure why this wasn't an issue on the w3c/pointerevents, but it does seem like the discussion happened there and folks agreed to move this in WICG: https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/353 \o/

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

Jan 17, 2024, 10:39:48 AMJan 17
to blink-dev, vmp...@google.com, blink-dev, Alex Russell, Yoav Weiss, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, Mike Taylor, ann...@microsoft.com, sahir....@microsoft.com
On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 3:51:59 PM UTC+1 vmp...@google.com wrote:
On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 6:08 PM 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi all, good news!

Reviving this thread because we have accomplished:
2. WICG Repository for standardization discussions. Link to explainer in WICG Repo:  pointer-event-extensions/pointer-event-device-id-explainer.md at main · WICG/pointer-event-extensions (github.com)
3. A PR against the PointerEvent spec with proposed changes:  Add deviceId to PointerEvent spec by sahirv · Pull Request #495 · w3c/pointerevents (github.com) We will be waiting for Spec Level 3 to come out before this can be merged; but this provides an official starting point for the standardized description of this feature. Based on the feedback received, I don't anticipate any major changes to the design.

Thanks for the PR! Was it reviewed by other WG members?
For example, "User agents MAY reserve a generic `deviceId` value of `0` or `1` for events generated by the primary mouse device." seems risky from an interop perspective. E.g. developers may rely on some UAs doing that and fail when others don't.

Sahir Vellani

Jan 18, 2024, 3:05:17 PMJan 18
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, mike...@chromium.org, ann...@microsoft.com, Sahir Vellani
Appreciate the feedback! Yes the PR was reviewed by WG members for any major concerns; but I believe there will be more comprehensive feedback once the Level 3 spec lands. Regarding your concern, the language is based on that of PointerEvent.pointerId. The ultimate goal here is to differentiate between devices, and like pointerId, the way the ids are assigned has been left to the UA. I think web developers should be able to rely on PointerEvent.pointerType to confirm whether the pointer event comes from the primary mouse device. In Chromium, we transmit 1 for the mouse for PointerEvent.deviceId.

Mike Taylor

Jan 18, 2024, 9:26:20 PMJan 18
to Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, ann...@microsoft.com

Forgive my ignorance around this API generally, but is there any reason the spec can't require a single value? If not, why not?

Sahir Vellani

Jan 18, 2024, 11:40:00 PMJan 18
to blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, ann...@microsoft.com, Sahir Vellani
I can't say what the reasoning is for that behavior in PointerEvent.pointerId, as I was not involved. However, I will make a change in the spec to only use the value of 1 for primary mouse device.
There may be a scenario where PointerEvent.deviceId is unsupported by the UA (separate from an invalid id of -1); e.g, on platforms where the feature is unimplemented. In that case, developers might have a check like if(event.deviceId) {...}. If the deviceId is 0 for a valid reason, it will fail that check. I see no harm in limiting the deviceId from primary mouse to 1. It will avoid this interop issue and make the feature more friendly to web developers.

Sahir Vellani

Jan 18, 2024, 11:44:58 PMJan 18
to blink-dev, Sahir Vellani, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, ann...@microsoft.com
Just to clarify, I've made the change in the deviceId verbiage in the spec, not pointerId :)

Sahir Vellani

Jan 23, 2024, 12:15:51 PMJan 23
to blink-dev, Sahir Vellani, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, ann...@microsoft.com
Hi all, any more questions or concerns?

Robert Flack

Jan 23, 2024, 1:01:11 PMJan 23
to Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell
FWIW, in the PEWG call last week there was some question of how this relates to the pen customizations proposal. I suppose the general question is whether this should be an additional part of some hardware specific device customization in pointerEvent.penCustomizationsDetails. I think there is a risk of shipping this without consensus on the general shape, as it will make it harder to change if it's decided there's a better way to expose the information without breaking existing uses. We should probably take the API that has been incubated and bring it back for discussion in the working group.

On Thursday, January 18, 2024 at 8:40:00 PM UTC-8 Sahir Vellani wrote:
I can't say what the reasoning is for that behavior in PointerEvent.pointerId, as I was not involved. However, I will make a change in the spec to only use the value of 1 for primary mouse device.
There may be a scenario where PointerEvent.deviceId is unsupported by the UA (separate from an invalid id of -1); e.g, on platforms where the feature is unimplemented. In that case, developers might have a check like if(event.deviceId) {...}. If the deviceId is 0 for a valid reason, it will fail that check. I see no harm in limiting the deviceId from primary mouse to 1. It will avoid this interop issue and make the feature more friendly to web developers.

0 was originally reserved to mean a non-pointer device. This was discussed in https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/343 where we discovered that Firefox has, and continues to use 0 for mouse pointer events where chrome and safari use 1.

Rick Byers

Jan 23, 2024, 2:00:58 PMJan 23
to Robert Flack, Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell
This is a pretty niche and tiny addition which matters a lot to probably a couple websites in the world, and not at all to everyone else. It's a shame that it's taken over a year of discussion on what to ship. Worst case and we get this wrong and have something better in the future, I can't imagine it would be hard to change over and deprecate this. Sahir, do you agree? If so, I don't think it's a good use of resources to spend a lot more time debating this tiny addition, the stakes are IMHO not high here.

However, I definitely think we want to give PEWG a fair chance to weigh in on the spec PR. The PR was just filed 2 weeks ago, so maybe another week delay to wait for feedback on it is reasonable? Rob, can you get this on the agenda for the next PEWG call and indicate that I think Chromium should just ship it as-is unless there's a concrete counter-proposal in the next couple weeks?

Rick

Robert Flack

Jan 23, 2024, 2:01:05 PMJan 23
On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 1:00 PM Robert Flack <fla...@chromium.org> wrote:
FWIW, in the PEWG call last week there was some question of how this relates to the pen customizations proposal. I suppose the general question is whether this should be an additional part of some hardware specific device customization in pointerEvent.penCustomizationsDetails. I think there is a risk of shipping this without consensus on the general shape, as it will make it harder to change if it's decided there's a better way to expose the information without breaking existing uses. We should probably take the API that has been incubated and bring it back for discussion in the working group.

I've raised this for discussion to try to reach consensus on the general idea. I also realize my comment comes across more critical than I meant it to be. There is risk to locking in the current proposal, but I also suspect we'd be able to make a breaking change if needed, so I did not intend my comment to be blocking. Apologies!

Robert Flack

Jan 23, 2024, 2:04:01 PMJan 23
to Rick Byers, Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell
On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 2:00 PM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Absolutely! Happy to!

Sahir Vellani

Jan 23, 2024, 2:26:32 PMJan 23
to blink-dev, fla...@chromium.org, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, Sahir Vellani
Thanks Rick and Robert!

Rick, I agree that it would be relatively easy to change/deprecate deviceId. There are not too many devices at the moment that support multiple pens, and not many web apps either. I think the cost to the websites of not having Chrome support this for the foreseeable future is greater than changing where the deviceId gets read from. The Pen Customizations api looks quite cool, although deviceId is more generic.

Robert, I'm happy to wait a week or two more for the PEWG to discuss this further. Thanks for putting deviceId in the agenda, and of course we can rework this if a more appropriate alternative is proposed. :)

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

Jan 31, 2024, 11:33:25 AMJan 31
to blink-dev, sahir....@microsoft.com, Robert Flack, blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss, vmp...@google.com, Alex Russell, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell
Thanks for chiming in, Robert!

Sahir - can you let us know once the PEWG has discussed this and you feel this is good to go?

Robert Flack

Feb 1, 2024, 3:33:46 PMFeb 1
to Yoav Weiss (@Shopify), Sahir Vellani, Rick Byers, blink-dev, Mike Taylor, vmp...@google.com, Alex Russell, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell
We just discussed this yesterday where the consensus was that we thought it would be pragmatic to put this new device specific identifier into a common structure on the pointer event where other device specific customizations could later be added (e.g. those from the pen customizations proposal). This avoids needing to have new properties on the pointer event for each device specific customization attribute added.

Another question that came up was how universal this customization was, i.e. whether there would be support for this on other platforms.

@Sahir Vellani would you be able to suggest what you think the best structure name / property name for pointer specific identifier properties might be?

I do agree with @Rick Byers that this is likely a niche API which we'll likely be able to change, I'm just trying to get ahead of breaking changes early.

Sahir Vellani

Feb 1, 2024, 4:31:24 PMFeb 1
to blink-dev, fla...@chromium.org, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, yoav...@chromium.org, Sahir Vellani, rby...@chromium.org
Thanks for the update Robert! That makes sense.

What about deviceProperties? That would place the emphasis on the device generating the pointer event; with "properties" being generic enough to include different supported functions of the device. So we would have something like PointerEvent.deviceProperties.deviceId/PointerEvent.deviceProperties.preferredInkingColor etc.

Would you be able to clarify the next steps once the structure name has been agreed upon? I believe we'll need to update the explainer, spec PR and change the chromium implementation. Anything else?

Robert Flack

Feb 12, 2024, 9:53:30 AMFeb 12
to Sahir Vellani, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, vmp...@google.com, sligh...@chromium.org, Daniel Bratell, gerc...@microsoft.com, Alex Russell, yoav...@chromium.org, rby...@chromium.org
I think deviceProperties is reasonable. The other question was when deviceId would be populated? E.g. should touches on the same touchscreen device have the same deviceId or should we only have a deviceId when we can uniquely identify the particular pointer? I suspect maybe the latter since otherwise you couldn't infer uniqueness from its existence.

Could you comment on the pointerevents issue so that the context is there for the next meeting? I'll request that it be discussed again.

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 4:31 PM 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Thanks for the update Robert! That makes sense.

What about deviceProperties? That would place the emphasis on the device generating the pointer event; with "properties" being generic enough to include different supported functions of the device. So we would have something like PointerEvent.deviceProperties.deviceId/PointerEvent.deviceProperties.preferredInkingColor etc.

Would you be able to clarify the next steps once the structure name has been agreed upon? I believe we'll need to update the explainer, spec PR and change the chromium implementation. Anything else?

This sounds good.