[INFORMATION NEEDED] Chrome 93 is Coming; Let us Know What's Shipping

Joe Medley

Jun 18, 2021, 1:49:51 PM6/18/21
to blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
Gang,

There are two things you need to know about why I ask for information so far ahead of beta. The closer we get to July 29 the harder it is to prepare good outreach for a feature. Also the drop-off for readers of the beta blog happens drastically and soon after a release. It never recovers. I've included an example below from a few years ago. By the way, the second bump is not the release of stable. It's Google IO.

curve.png
Chrome 93 beta is planned for release on July 29. Developer Relations needs information to help us plan. We want a complete list of everything in Chrome beta for the beta post. We try when possible to have articles for important new features on web.dev.

Please let me know of anything that might be shipping in Chrome 93 or 94. I don't care if it's a new API, a bug to add a missing interface member, a spec change or whatever. I need to know all of it. If you have any questions about this, just ask, or refer to the FAQ in my communication instructions.

Also, please make sure your Chrome Status entries reflect the current state of your feature. Origin trial and shipping milestone numbers may be edited by clicking the "Edit all fields" link and scrolling down the page.

The list of what I currently believe might be shipping is in this spreadsheet. For those who can't reach it, here's a summary.

François Beaufort 🇫🇷

Jun 21, 2021, 4:46:10 AM6/21/21
to Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads

Mike Taylor

Jun 21, 2021, 2:08:45 PM6/21/21
to Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAPpwU5JvqPq_zOxJVYhfFryB6f8NWVbf-Q%2B6Xcna7vkbKNi9WA%40mail.gmail.com.

Una Kravets

Jun 22, 2021, 10:32:06 AM6/22/21
to Mike Taylor, Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
Hi Joe,

GridNG is slated to ship in Chromium 93 also (work primarily done by the Microsoft team)

- Una

Scott Haseley

Jun 23, 2021, 6:13:31 PM6/23/21
to Una Kravets, Mike Taylor, Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
Hi Joe,

We're hoping to ship scheduler.postTask() (https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6031161734201344) in M93, but it could get pushed back depending on TAG/vendor feedback.

 - Scott

Joe Medley

Jun 28, 2021, 10:45:01 AM6/28/21
to François Beaufort 🇫🇷, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
François,

Thanks for the information. Regarding prefers color scheme, I can't quite tell what's going on. There's an intent to experiment sent on May 18. Is this starting an origin trial in 93?

Joe
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Joe Medley

Jun 28, 2021, 11:05:47 AM6/28/21
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
I added it to my list. Thanks.

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Shu-yu Guo

Jun 28, 2021, 7:17:17 PM6/28/21
to Scott Haseley, Una Kravets, Mike Taylor, Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
Sorry for belated reply and updating of chromestatus. The Error.cause JS feature is shipping in M93.

Thomas Steiner

Jun 29, 2021, 4:32:38 AM6/29/21
to Joe Medley, François Beaufort 🇫🇷, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
Hi Joe,

Two features here:

1) A scheme-dependent theme color:

2) A client hint (HTTP header) that communicates the user's preferred color scheme at request time, so the server can, for example, inline only the scheme-relevant CSS.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Thomas Steiner, PhD—Developer Advocate (https://blog.tomayac.com, https://twitter.com/tomayac)

Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado

Joe Medley

Jun 29, 2021, 10:16:06 AM6/29/21
to Shu-yu Guo, Scott Haseley, Una Kravets, Mike Taylor, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
Got it. Thanks!

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Joe Medley

Jun 29, 2021, 10:25:28 AM6/29/21
to Thomas Steiner, François Beaufort 🇫🇷, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, Chris Wilson
Thomas,

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately, I had the first item already.

The second item is problematic. I can't find a status entry for it. If there isn't one, then there also isn't an intent to ship. I'm not allowed to include it in the beta post if it doesn't have an intent to ship.

Joe
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Thomas Steiner

Jun 29, 2021, 10:39:48 AM6/29/21
to Joe Medley, Thomas Steiner, François Beaufort 🇫🇷, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, Chris Wilson
Hey Joe,

Cheers,
Tom

Joe Medley

Jun 29, 2021, 11:00:59 AM6/29/21
to Thomas Steiner, François Beaufort 🇫🇷, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
Thanks. The status entry goes by the name "User Preference Media Features Client Hints Headers".

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Thomas Steiner

Jun 29, 2021, 11:55:36 AM6/29/21
to Joe Medley, Thomas Steiner, François Beaufort 🇫🇷, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads
That's right. We start with one header, but there will be more.

François Beaufort 🇫🇷

Jul 1, 2021, 5:00:56 AM7/1/21
to Thomas Steiner, Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads

And it's tagged with "sec-ch-prefers-color-scheme". See https://www.chromestatus.com/features#tags:sec-ch-prefers-color-scheme
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Thomas Steiner <to...@google.com> wrote:
Hey Joe,

Cheers,
Tom

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 4:44 PM Joe Medley <jme...@google.com> wrote:
François,

Thanks for the information. Regarding prefers color scheme, I can't quite tell what's going on. There's an intent to experiment sent on May 18. Is this starting an origin trial in 93?

Asami Doi

Jul 15, 2021, 1:17:13 AM7/15/21
to Shu-yu Guo, Scott Haseley, Una Kravets, Mike Taylor, Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
Hello Joe,

"Dedicated workers as service worker clients" listed in the table can't be released yet. Shipping will be postponed to M94.
Sorry for the short notice.

Thanks,
Asami

Shu-yu Guo

Jul 15, 2021, 2:03:17 PM7/15/21
to Scott Haseley, Una Kravets, Mike Taylor, Joe Medley, blink-dev, Chrome Media Leads, 🐡 Fugu Leads, François Beaufort 🇫🇷
Another small JS feature for M93: Object.hasOwn.