Intent to Experiment: Keyboard-focusable scroll containers Opt Out

Di Zhang

May 10, 2024, 12:36:40 PMMay 10
to blink-dev
Experiment GoalsThe feature KeyboardFocusableScrollers changes the focusability of a a scroll container. This is an important improvement to help make scrollers and contents within scrollers more accessible to all users. The goal of this experiment is to collect feedback on this change from users who might depend on the previous behavior (when a scroller is not focusable by default) and help them adapt to the new behavior which will ship in M126. Sites can use this Origin Trial to opt out of the KeyboardFocusableScrollers feature.
Experiment RisksThis experiment is to allow users to opt-out of the feature KeyboardFocusableScrollers. There is no risk to loss access to any important API or other functionality.
Ongoing ConstraintsNone

OT desktop start126OT desktop end135OT Android start126OT Android end135OT WebView startN/AOT WebView endN/A

Note: The Intent to Ship for Keyboard Focusable Scrollers:

Mike Taylor

May 10, 2024, 2:18:26 PMMay 10
to Di Zhang, blink-dev

Is there a chromestatus entry associated with this intent? There's a lot of information missing from this Intent (see https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/LwgSKPBivuM/m/0dRsXWhBAgAJ as what is typical) - could you reply with the missing info?

(Did you use ChromeStatus to generate the email?)

Also note that origin trials can only run for 6 milestones initially (see https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features/#origin-trials) - or are you requesting a deprecation trial?

Vladimir Levin

May 10, 2024, 3:38:47 PMMay 10
to Mike Taylor, Di Zhang, blink-dev

FWIW, according to https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features/#deprecation-trial, deprecation trials also only run for up to 6 milestones before extensions

On 5/10/24 12:36 PM, Di Zhang wrote:
[...]

Di Zhang

May 13, 2024, 2:27:23 PMMay 13
to blink-dev, Vladimir Levin, Di Zhang, blink-dev, Mike Taylor

Sorry for missing information! I haven’t created a request for a Deprecation Trial before, which is what I intended this to be, and I missed some parts of the process. The chromestatus is located here, which is for the overall KeyboardFocusableScrollers feature: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5231964663578624. The origin trial section details why we are requesting a Deprecation trial for this feature, which I’ve copied below. I believe this answers the questions I’ve received here, but please let me know if anything else is missing!

Summary

The feature KeyboardFocusableScrollers changes the focusability of a scroll container. This feature includes the following changes:

  • Scrollers are click-focusable and programmatically-focusable by default.

  • Scrollers without focusable children are keyboard-focusable by default.

This is an important improvement to help make scrollers and contents within scrollers more accessible to all users.

We attempted to ship the above changes, and found that a limited number of sites had broken expectations around some of their components. As a result, we had to unship the feature to avoid this breakage. However, given the benefits mentioned above, we’d like to ship this feature again.

To allow more time for the affected sites to migrate their components, we are requesting a Deprecation Trial. This trial (called “KeyboardFocusableScrollersOptOut”), when enabled, will disable the KeyboardFocusableScrollers feature. To give adequate time, we’d like to let this deprecation trial run for 9 months. It might be ok to limit this to 6-months, but would like the option to extend the depreciation period if needed.

On Friday, May 10, 2024 at 12:38:47 PM UTC-7 Vladimir Levin wrote:
[...]

Mike Taylor

May 22, 2024, 10:00:52 PMMay 22
to Di Zhang, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin

Thanks Di - this is a useful clarification.

You can request up to 6 milestones for a Deprecation Trial, and only need a single LGTM. Renewals are possible, with sufficient justification.

That said, if you do think that 9 milestones is sufficient for your needs - that is also possible, but will require 3 LGTMs. If that is the route you would like to propose, can your let us know why you think 9 milestones is sufficient, and wouldn't require a renewal? What outreach or comms plans do you have in place to ensure that the previously broken sites will be ready for this change in ~9 months?

Either way, please let us know how many (and which) milestonesyou are requesting for the deprecation trial.

thanks!
Mike

Di Zhang

May 28, 2024, 12:54:16 PMMay 28
to blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Vladimir Levin, Di Zhang
Thanks Mike. Your explanation makes sense and we are good with 6 milestones to start.
We expect the deprecation trial period to be longer to give web users enough time to adjust, but can request a renewal when the time comes.

I have updated the Origin Trial period to start on 127 and end on 133.

Vladimir Levin

May 28, 2024, 12:59:05 PMMay 28
to Di Zhang, blink-dev, Mike Taylor
LGTM to experiment from 127 to 133 inclusive

Daniel Bratell

May 29, 2024, 10:48:09 AMMay 29
to Vladimir Levin, Di Zhang, blink-dev, Mike Taylor

That is 7 milestones.

End at 132 inclusive instead?

/Daniel

Vladimir Levin

May 29, 2024, 10:58:52 AMMay 29
to Daniel Bratell, Di Zhang, blink-dev, Mike Taylor
On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 10:47 AM Daniel Bratell <bra...@sarasas.se> wrote:

That is 7 milestones.

End at 132 inclusive instead?

Oops, off-by-one strikes again!

Yes, 132 inclusive is the right endpoint

Di Zhang

May 29, 2024, 12:28:04 PMMay 29
to Vladimir Levin, Daniel Bratell, blink-dev, Mike Taylor
Updated the chromestatus to 127-132, thanks!