Intent to Ship: Digital Goods API 2.1

Rouslan Solomakhin

Apr 11, 2022, 10:45:43 AM4/11/22
to blin...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org

Contact emails

gle...@chromium.org, rou...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/digital-goods/blob/main/explainer.md#api-v21

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/digital-goods/

Difference between 2.0 and 2.1

Design docs

https://github.com/WICG/digital-goods/blob/master/explainer.md

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jbt2Mzt-xg1cWVlFScBQsoX_pE8Kg1gYpulxUSV8FM0/edit

Summary

We would like to ship a non-breaking addition to the existing Digital Goods API. This change:

  • Adds to DigitalGoodsService:

    • Promise<sequence<PurchaseDetails>> listPurchaseHistory();

  • Adds to ItemDetails:

    • ItemType type;

    • sequence<DOMString> iconUrls;

    • unsigned short introductoryPriceCycles;

  • Adds enum ItemType.

Use of the new methods/fields will require developers to update supporting code in their apps, such as Android Browser Helper.

Blink component

Blink>Payments

Search tags

payments, billing

TAG review

TAG review status

TAG continues to think of DGAPI as a “product-specific API within one company.”

Other issues addressed.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Similar to Payment Request: this API is used to talk to specific store backends, and so its usage is tailored to the specific store. The reason it's a proposed web standard is so that the same code (which is specific to one store) is portable across browsers.

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/349) Requested 2020-05-27

WebKit: No signal (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2021-October/032001.html) Requested 2021-10-08

Web developers: Positive (https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-web-payments-digital-product-management-api/4350)

Other signals: rouslan@ presented DGAPI at 2021 TPAC (meeting notes) and at a PWA Dev Sync (meeting notes). Other browser implementers and app stores do not appear to have immediate plans to engage with DGAPI. There were some questions, no objections.

Ergonomics

Used in tandem with the Payment Request API.

WebView Application Risks

This API is disabled in WebView.

Debuggability

We have had several requests from developers to make the API easier to debug, but it is difficult due to the interaction with a backing service based in an app/store context. We are looking for suggestions (https://github.com/WICG/digital-goods/issues/33) on how we might improve the debuggability of the API.

The tests are in //third_party/blink/web_tests/wpt_internal/digital-goods.

Flag name

DigitalGoodsV2_1

Requires code in //chrome?

Yes

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1250604

Launch bug

https://crbug.com/1288420

Estimated milestones

We would like to ship DGAPI v2.1 in M102.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5339955595313152

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype 1.0:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/vkS3k30lWNs.

Intent to experiment 1.0:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/syI9_M9dANY/m/3lt-QGMHAgAJ.

Intent to continue experimenting 1.0:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/uoTx_cRuL5o.

Intent to experiment 2.0:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/wIYqo3F_Vmo/m/uKw6hDa8BgAJ.

Intent to ship 2.0:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/2pjQ3O2GzDA/m/BqQ7UL6gAwAJ

Intent to continue experimenting 2.0:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/DqnurOUBA9s/m/5H18GilKEQAJ

Intent to prototype 2.1:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/JaNDPCUr1ws/m/JFt-E7ePAQAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Joe Medley

Apr 11, 2022, 1:49:33 PM4/11/22
to blink-dev, rou...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
Are you hoping to ship in 102?

Joe Medley

Apr 11, 2022, 1:50:22 PM4/11/22
to blink-dev, Joe Medley, rou...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
Just saw where you answered that. Sorry.

Joe Medley

Apr 11, 2022, 1:52:16 PM4/11/22
to blink-dev, Joe Medley, rou...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
So this is different from what you shipped in 100 (desktop) and 101 (Android).

Rouslan Solomakhin

Apr 11, 2022, 1:55:15 PM4/11/22
to blink-dev, Joe Medley, rou...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
Yep, a few additional API methods and fields.

Yoav Weiss

Apr 14, 2022, 5:03:54 AM4/14/22
to Rouslan Solomakhin, Jason Robbins, Joe Medley, rou...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
A note on tooling: this was not caught by the API Owners' dashboard. I suspect that this is because you seem to have recycled the chromestatus entry.. /cc +Jason Robbins

Chris Harrelson

Apr 14, 2022, 7:55:09 PM4/14/22
to Yoav Weiss, Rouslan Solomakhin, Jason Robbins, Joe Medley, rou...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
LGTM1

Would you mind pinging the Mozilla standards position issue to advise them of the current status of what has shipped and where the spec is at?

Rouslan Solomakhin

Apr 14, 2022, 9:00:55 PM4/14/22
to Chris Harrelson, Yoav Weiss, Jason Robbins, Joe Medley, gle...@chromium.org

Yoav Weiss

Apr 15, 2022, 12:31:52 AM4/15/22
to Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev, gle...@chromium.org
On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 4:45 PM Rouslan Solomakhin <rou...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Am I correct to assume that if developers don't update their code, nothing will break?

Mike Taylor

Apr 15, 2022, 9:44:30 AM4/15/22
to Yoav Weiss, Rouslan Solomakhin, blink-dev, gle...@chromium.org
On 4/15/22 12:31 AM, Yoav Weiss wrote:
[...]

AFAICT from reading the spec diff, these changes are purely additive. LGTM2 assuming Rouslan can verify our understanding. :)

Rouslan Solomakhin

Apr 15, 2022, 12:20:13 PM4/15/22
to Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, gle...@chromium.org
That is correct. If web developers do not update their code, nothing will break. Updating the supporting code is required only to access the new features.

Yoav Weiss

Apr 15, 2022, 3:10:43 PM4/15/22
to Rouslan Solomakhin, Mike Taylor, blink-dev, gle...@chromium.org
LGTM3

Rouslan Solomakhin

Apr 28, 2022, 7:50:36 PM4/28/22
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org, blink-dev, gle...@chromium.org, rou...@chromium.org
> Estimated milestones
> We would like to ship DGAPI v2.1 in M102.

Hello,

FYI, the team has decided to postpone DGAPI v2.1 release to M103.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Cheers,
Rouslan