Intent to Implement and Ship: isSecurePaymentConfirmationAvailable API

Nick Burris

Apr 20, 2023, 12:58:34 PM4/20/23
to blink-dev, Stephen McGruer, Kaan Icer

Contact emails

nbu...@chromium.orgsmcg...@chromium.orgic...@chromium.org

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/pull/233

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10zFazJRJMwNLKmH-GJRFMDs4rONIO5kF8TvdFydmGek/edit

Summary

This is a Javascript API to provide an easier way to check if the Secure Payment Confirmation[1] feature is available. Currently, the only way to determine SPC’s availability is to create a PaymentRequest with the required parameters[2], which is clunky and difficult in the case where a developer wants to check for SPC before starting to process a payment. [1] https://www.w3.org/TR/secure-payment-confirmation/ [2] https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/issues/81#issuecomment-868473461

Blink component

Blink>Payments

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: N/A (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/570)

WebKit: N/A (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/30)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/issues/81) We've received feedback from web developers that an easier mechanism to check for SPC availability would be useful.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Yes

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=SecurePaymentConfirmationAvailableAPI

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Estimated milestones

Shipping on desktop114
Shipping on Android114

Anticipated spec changes

https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/pull/233

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5165040614768640

Yoav Weiss

Apr 26, 2023, 6:24:16 AM4/26/23
to Nick Burris, Rick Byers, blink-dev, Stephen McGruer, Kaan Icer
LGTM1

Thanks for adding feature detection capabilities!!

I see some discussion on the PR about it being approved but not yet landed, due to desire to move a previous version to PR.
That seems fine, but at the same time, I join +Rick Byers' request to make sure the situation doesn't last too long. Also, you may want to consider moving to a Living Standard model, that typically can avoid those kinds of issues..

Nick Burris

Apr 27, 2023, 10:32:52 AM4/27/23
to blink-dev, Nick Burris, Stephen McGruer, Kaan Icer

[...]

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?Yes

Flag name--enable-blink-features=SecurePaymentConfirmationAvailableAPI

Requires code in //chrome?True

Estimated milestonesShipping on desktop114Shipping on Android114

FYI, we missed the 114 branch so we're pushing this back to M115.

Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Statushttps://chromestatus.com/feature/5165040614768640

Mike West

Apr 28, 2023, 3:22:02 AM4/28/23
to Nick Burris, blink-dev, Stephen McGruer, Kaan Icer
LGTM2.

I think it would be valuable to extend the spec PR with more description of the considerations around when the feature is available (see discussion at https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/issues/81#issuecomment-1527105768), but I don't think that will meaningfully change the shape of the API or its meaning in Chromium's implementation.

-mike

Chris Harrelson

Apr 28, 2023, 11:30:27 AM4/28/23
to Mike West, Nick Burris, blink-dev, Stephen McGruer, Kaan Icer