Request for Deprecation Trial: Media Previews opt-out

mark a. foltz

May 10, 2024, 2:40:26 PMMay 10
to blink-dev

Contact emails

mfo...@chromium.orgbryantc...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZnX2JROjr9l4y2_OPMpfVlLOo-A5cQzD4mWarj9kXQ0/edit

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZnX2JROjr9l4y2_OPMpfVlLOo-A5cQzD4mWarj9kXQ0/edit

Summary

Allow coordination between sites using Page Embedded Permissions Controls and concurrent experiments with the camera and microphone permissions UI in Chrome.

Blink component

Blink>MediaStream

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Chromium Trial Name

MediaPreviewsOptOutPersistent

Origin Trial documentation link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZnX2JROjr9l4y2_OPMpfVlLOo-A5cQzD4mWarj9kXQ0/edit?usp=sharing

WebFeature UseCounter name

kOBSOLETE_PageDestruction

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None as this feature concerns the functionality of Chrome's permissions UI, and does not change the behavior of the APIs that are gated by it: navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices and navigator.mediaDevices.getUserMedia Other browsers implement their own permissions UIs independently of Chrome.

Gecko: N/A

WebKit: N/A

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Ergonomics

N/A

Activation

N/A

Security

N/A

WebView application risks

None

Goals for experimentation

Ongoing technical constraints

There are no plans to add media previews to Chrome on platforms other than Windows/Mac/Linux.

Debuggability

N/A

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

No

There are currently no plans to launch previews outside of Windows/Mac/Linux.

No

N/A

DevTrial instructions

https://tinyurl.com/yc6mvth8

Flag name on chrome://flags

--enable-features=camera-mic-preview

Finch feature name

CameraMicPreview

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://issues.chromium.org/330762482

Launch bug

https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4304480

Estimated milestones

Origin trial desktop first126
Origin trial desktop last137
DevTrial on desktop122

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5100528783851520?gate=5123374989967360

Vladimir Levin

May 10, 2024, 3:39:52 PMMay 10
to mark a. foltz, blink-dev
According to https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features/#deprecation-trial, deprecation trials should only run for up to 6 milestones before an extension is required, so this may need to be adjusted

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5100528783851520?gate=5123374989967360

mark a. foltz

May 10, 2024, 5:05:24 PMMay 10
to Vladimir Levin, mark a. foltz, blink-dev
I'm fine with shortening the trial, as long as extensions are possible in case we need longer to ship a long-term solution.

Mike Taylor

May 13, 2024, 1:21:48 PMMay 13
to mark a. foltz, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin

FWIW, a deprecation trial can surpass 6 milestones - but they require sufficient justification as well as 3 LGTMs.

That said, I'm not sure I understand the request here. I read the linked "Chrome Camera and Mic Previews" document, but I think the Rollout plan section is assuming more info than I have. Could you explain how this feature and PEPC relate, and why having them work together is a bad thing? Do you plan to deprecate one of the features once the Deprecation Trial is finished? (Or are you just requesting an Origin Trial to temporarily disable something, and expect it to be re-enabled in the future?)

Something that approaches an Explainer would probably be helpful here - thanks!

Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)

mark a. foltz

May 17, 2024, 4:42:43 PMMay 17
to Mike Taylor, mark a. foltz, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin
> Could you explain how this feature and PEPC relate, and why having them work together is a bad thing?

PEPC is a completely different permissions UI for Chrome that disables the experience that includes previews. The explainer for PEPC demonstrates conceptual UI for PEPC, and I believe running Chrome using these instructions will allow you to try it yourself.

Currently media previews are not supported in PEPC, but the outcome of the experiment and PEPC origin trial will help inform us about whether it makes sense to integrate these features in the future.

> Do you plan to deprecate one of the features once the Deprecation Trial is finished?  (Or are you just requesting an Origin Trial to temporarily disable something, and expect it to be re-enabled in the future?)

I can't speak for PEPC. For Media Previews, future changes will be based on feedback from our Finch experiments and discussions with sites that use the opt out origin trial.  We may, for example, decide to attempt an API that allows sites to customize the camera and mic permissions UI in ways that extend beyond PEPC.  Or we may not do that and instead enable previews for all non-PEPC-using sites.

m.

mark a. foltz

May 17, 2024, 4:52:33 PMMay 17
to Yoav Weiss (@Shopify), blink-dev, Mike Taylor, Vladimir Levin, Mark Foltz
On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 9:02 AM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:
Can you expand on how (if) this is different from the past intent with a similar title?

The only change to the OT parameters was that the milestones were adjusted from 124 => 135 to 126 => 137 to align with our internal launch schedule.

I entered this information into the tool before generating this email, but now I don't see it anywhere.  I wonder if I need to file a bug on this.

m.

[...]

Vladimir Levin

May 22, 2024, 11:43:15 AMMay 22
to mark a. foltz, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify), blink-dev, Mike Taylor
LGTM to experiment with the new milestones (126 to 137)