Intent to Ship: Supports keyword format in @font-face src descriptor

Eric Huang

Nov 12, 2021, 2:22:57 PM11/12/21

Nov 12, 2021, 2:37:28 PM11/12/21

On 11/11/21 8:18 PM, Eric Huang wrote:

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

In https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1242683#c3 it says this works in Safari - so, you can update WebKit to Shipped/Shipping (I verified on my local machine).

As for Gecko, bit.ly/blink-signals explains how to request that position from Mozilla.

Debuggability

No specific DevTools support

Yes

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1242683

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6214741698543616

Yoav Weiss

Nov 15, 2021, 1:33:21 AM11/15/21
to Mike Taylor, Dominik Röttsches, Eric Huang, blink-dev
Hey Eric!

You may want to talk to +Dominik Röttsches, who filed a similar intent in the past.

Dominik Röttsches

Nov 17, 2021, 5:58:53 AM11/17/21
to Yoav Weiss, Mike Taylor, Eric Huang, blink-dev
Hi Eric,

in the context of enabling COLRv1 and the discussion on feature detection in CSS WG issue #6520 we need a) implementation changes to the src: descriptor and b) we need a @supports font-technology function, which was recently defined in the spec and which I am prototyping here

In addition to your proposed change of supporting the keyword syntax, which is generally good, we also need to support the new syntax for the technology() function syntax in the font descriptor, which was recently introduced in the spec. I prefer to handle both at the same time, adding support for keyword syntax for format() as well as support for the new technology() function in the src: descriptor in the same intent to ship, which I plan to publish once I clarified whether we can go ahead and ship these new changes of the spec. I am somewhat hesitant to have a separate change only for the string -> keyword addition for format in the meantime.

Once I get to that, I will try to find a way for incorporating and landing your change for the keyword support as part of that work.

Dominik

Eric Huang

Nov 18, 2021, 1:36:58 PM11/18/21
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev
Safari status has been updated and this is the Firefox position issue: https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/593

Mike Taylor <mike...@chromium.org> 于2021年11月13日周六 上午3:37写道:

Eric Huang

Nov 18, 2021, 1:37:16 PM11/18/21
to Dominik Röttsches, Yoav Weiss, Mike Taylor, blink-dev
Sounds good to me, thanks for your detailed explanation.

Dominik Röttsches <dr...@chromium.org> 于2021年11月17日周三 下午6:58写道: