Intent to Ship: MediaTrackConstraintSet.displaySurface

Elad Alon

May 25, 2022, 8:47:50 AM5/25/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

elad...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uI51R4YfFQtfiDTw1KfnLqzIu45OgxhYoUT7khlhmwQ/edit?usp=sharing

Specification

https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-screen-share/pull/186/files

Summary

When getDisplayMedia() is called, the browser offers the user a choice of display surfaces - tabs, windows and monitors. Using the displaySurface constraint, the Web application may now hint to the browser if it prefers that a certain surface type be more prominently offered to the user.

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

N/A. This is just an addition of a single flag to an existing dictionary, following well-known patterns.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/642) Jan-Ivar Bruaroey from Mozilla, and Youenn Fablet from Apple, have both collaborated with us closely in shaping this PR. They have then approved merging this PR into w3c/mediacapture-screen-share. This is implicit support, so I'd consider it POSITIVE even though, as of the time of this writing, the official request for position has not yet been answered.

WebKit: Positive (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-May/032253.html) Jan-Ivar Bruaroey from Mozilla, and Youenn Fablet from Apple, have both collaborated with us closely in shaping this PR. They have then approved merging this PR into w3c/mediacapture-screen-share. This is implicit support, so I'd consider it POSITIVE even though, as of the time of this writing, the official request for position has not yet been answered.

Web developers: Positive See Appendix I of the internal design doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U_aNptMZuYFuFWu7leq43V3hqOQ9zMEumG3x413q2pY/edit#heading=h.693jj8mh4gkw

Other signals:

WebView application risks

N/A

Debuggability

N/A

No

Supported on all platforms that support getDisplayMedia. Namely, all desktop platforms.

No

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1224912

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5186392840732672

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/bVVEn-TOTYs

Yoav Weiss

Jun 1, 2022, 2:42:09 AM6/1/22
to blink-dev, Elad Alon
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 2:47:50 PM UTC+2 Elad Alon wrote:

[...]

Similar to other intents, this doesn't count as an official positive signal. Let's wait a few days to see if one emerges.

Elad Alon

Jun 1, 2022, 3:37:31 AM6/1/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
Thanks. I've set myself a reminder to ping this thread in one week, as suggested on the other intent thread.

Chris Harrelson

Jun 22, 2022, 11:41:11 AM6/22/22
to Elad Alon, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM1

Yoav Weiss

Jun 22, 2022, 11:41:37 AM6/22/22
to blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Elad Alon
LGTM2

Daniel Bratell

Jun 22, 2022, 12:13:30 PM6/22/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Elad Alon

LGTM3

/Daniel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/d715c7d5-6f89-4729-9d0b-48235a0fd9dbn%40chromium.org.

Joe Medley

Jun 22, 2022, 1:15:43 PM6/22/22
to Daniel Bratell, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Elad Alon
When do you hope to ship this?
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

LGTM2

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMO6jDPv1P9YEEKwt8pTeqSU0wT%2BdyY%2BkwyagovrtFT00c--FQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Elad Alon

Jun 22, 2022, 1:20:36 PM6/22/22
to Joe Medley, Daniel Bratell, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson
When I have an exact date, I will update ChromeStatus and ping this thread with the target. Currently, I only know that it will be before EoY, but no earlier than August.

Elad Alon

Aug 21, 2022, 3:44:26 PM8/21/22
to blink-dev, Elad Alon, Daniel Bratell, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Joe Medley, beaufort...@gmail.com
This is shipping in m107. (Thank you François Beaufort for implementing!)