Intent to Ship: CSS object-view-box

Khushal Sagar

May 19, 2022, 12:22:43 PM5/19/22
to blink-dev, Vladimir Levin, taba...@chromium.org

Contact emails

khusha...@chromium.orgtaba...@chromium.orgvmp...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7058

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-images-4/#the-object-view-box

Summary

object-view-box allows the author to specify a subset within an image that should draw within the content box of the target replaced element. This enables an author to create an image with a custom glow or shadow applied, with proper ink-overflow behavior like a CSS shadow would have.

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Worth prototyping (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/626)

WebKit: No signal (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-March/032166.html)

Web developers: Positive
This property is a pre-requisite for Shared Element Transitions () which has positive feedback from developers (source). Multiple customers who are excited about SET need this feature to achieve their desired UX, since their designs have visual overflows such as shadows.

Other signals:

WebView application risks

None

Debuggability

The property can be debugged in the devtools style panel similar to other CSS properties.

Yes

Flag name

CSSObjectViewBox

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1303102

Estimated milestones

M104

Anticipated spec changes

None

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5213032857731072

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAMLuWUz11QzapF4BEX_QTu2FKsT2CEhphkyq%2BnorFgWA_G4qQw%40mail.gmail.com

Yoav Weiss

May 20, 2022, 11:32:29 AM5/20/22
to Khushal Sagar, blink-dev, Vladimir Levin, taba...@chromium.org
A short explainer with a few examples would go a long way to reassure me that what I think the feature does after reading this issue is actually what it does :)

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-images-4/#the-object-view-box

Summary

object-view-box allows the author to specify a subset within an image that should draw within the content box of the target replaced element. This enables an author to create an image with a custom glow or shadow applied, with proper ink-overflow behavior like a CSS shadow would have.

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

Seems like the TAG review is very recent and we need to give it some time..

Yoav Weiss

May 20, 2022, 12:27:49 PM5/20/22

On Fri, May 20, 2022, 17:31 Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 6:22 PM Khushal Sagar <khusha...@chromium.org> wrote:

A short explainer with a few examples would go a long way to reassure me that what I think the feature does after reading this issue is actually what it does :)

Saw https://ishadeed.com/article/css-object-view-box passing by, and it does an amazing job at explaining this!

slightlyoff via Chromestatus

May 25, 2022, 11:59:40 AM5/25/22
to blin...@chromium.org
Reserved LGTM1. I'm concerned that the TAG review was filed late and has not resolved. Our process depends on folks getting good guidance from senior engineers with a wide view of the platform and the connections between parts. The only reason I'm not blocking this one until the TAG review finishes is the CSS-centric nature of the feature, but I would not expect to be approving another feature that doesn't have either an explainer by the proposers or a completed TAG review from this team in future.

Khushal Sagar

May 30, 2022, 10:50:52 AM5/30/22
to slightlyoff via Chromestatus, blink-dev
On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM slightlyoff via Chromestatus <admin+sl...@cr-status.appspotmail.com> wrote:
Reserved LGTM1. I'm concerned that the TAG review was filed late and has not resolved.

Sorry, this was an error on my part. I was waiting on a spec (after the Intent to Prototype) and missed filing the TAG review once that was ready. I'll make sure to file one as soon as possible going forward. Thanks for the review!

Our process depends on folks getting good guidance from senior engineers with a wide view of the platform and the connections between parts. The only reason I'm not blocking this one until the TAG review finishes is the CSS-centric nature of the feature, but I would not expect to be approving another feature that doesn't have either an explainer by the proposers or a completed TAG review from this team in future.

Alex Russell

Jun 1, 2022, 11:47:37 AM6/1/22
to blink-dev, Khushal Sagar, blink-dev, slightlyoff via Chromestatus
On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 7:50:52 AM UTC-7 Khushal Sagar wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM slightlyoff via Chromestatus <admin+slightlyoff@cr-status.appspotmail.com> wrote:
Reserved LGTM1. I'm concerned that the TAG review was filed late and has not resolved.

Sorry, this was an error on my part. I was waiting on a spec (after the Intent to Prototype) and missed filing the TAG review once that was ready. I'll make sure to file one as soon as possible going forward. Thanks for the review!

No worries. In future, it's always good to think of your explainer as a living document you start *before* your spec. Doing it the other way around is always going to slow things down and makes it harder for folks to engage with the design that aren't themselves spec experts. The process of building support (in the TAG and API OWNERS, not to mention with developers) benefits from having a high-level description of the problem being solved so that we can all understand if it's being solved well and weigh alternatives. That's the big missing part of this design that I'd still like to see produced (considered alternatives).

Best,

Alex

Our process depends on folks getting good guidance from senior engineers with a wide view of the platform and the connections between parts. The only reason I'm not blocking this one until the TAG review finishes is the CSS-centric nature of the feature, but I would not expect to be approving another feature that doesn't have either an explainer by the proposers or a completed TAG review from this team in future.

Yoav Weiss

Jun 8, 2022, 3:02:20 AM6/8/22
to blink-dev, Alex Russell, Khushal Sagar, blink-dev, slightlyoff via Chromestatus
LGTM2

Mike Taylor

Jun 8, 2022, 10:57:53 AM6/8/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Alex Russell, Khushal Sagar, slightlyoff via Chromestatus
LGTM3
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/e154396c-c302-4a79-bf4b-5df957b19e27n%40chromium.org.