Ready for Trial: Compute Pressure

Mandy, Arnaud

Dec 21, 2022, 5:23:24 AM12/21/22
to Abridged recipients

Contact emails

kenneth.r.c...@intel.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/compute-pressure/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://www.w3.org/TR/compute-pressure

Summary

Provides a way for websites to react to changes in the CPU pressure of the target device, such that websites can trade off resources for an improved user experience.

Blink component

Blink>PerformanceAPIs>ComputePressure

Search tags

compute pressure

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/521)

WebKit: Negative (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2021-May/031845.html) This issue has been taken into account: https://github.com/WICG/compute-pressure/issues/24

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Security

https://github.com/WICG/compute-pressure/issues/79

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

This API provides device-specific information and has been designed to provide useful and actionable metrics while preserving user privacy. We'd like to see if the information provided provides the user experience improvement sought after and if the shape matches developer expectations. We will measure API usage metrics and obtain developer feedback to validate our designs. We'll focus on feedback on UX changes on lower-powered devices specifically.

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

chrome-internals://compute-pressure

No

Yes

DevTrial instructions

https://github.com/WICG/compute-pressure/blob/main/HOWTO.md

Flag name

see https://github.com/WICG/compute-pressure/blob/main/HOWTO.md

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1067627

Launch bug

https://crbug.com/1173266

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop 109

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5597608644968448

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/LTIRZ24C5Os/m/BPSeJ8y0BwAJ
Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/HzVV-sM97T0

Arnaud Mandy

Dec 21, 2022, 6:29:30 AM12/21/22
to blink-dev, Arnaud Mandy
Hi,

Correction on the previous Ready for Trial email:
Debuggability : chrome-internals://compute-pressure is not existing.

Apoligizing for the confusion.

Br
Arnaud