Proposal for some more formalities

Chris Harrelson

Jun 8, 2021, 12:01:00 PM6/8/21
to blink-api-owners-discuss
This document has some proposed text to add a few formalities, in particular for how and when to remove inactive API owners, and voting procedures in cases of formal objections. A formal objection has never happened before, but I have concluded it would be good to put mechanisms in place.

What do you think?

The biggest change in this document may be the conditions for retiring existing API owners. As currently written, it says:

"API owners may be removed if they are no longer able to contribute meaningfully in line with the qualifications."

which is intended to mean that API owners are expected to continue to do similar work to that required to become an API owner in the first place. As currently written, there are a few existing API owners who might end up being nominated for retirement from the group based on this definition...

Thanks,
Chris

Jochen Eisinger

Jun 8, 2021, 1:45:44 PM6/8/21
to Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
fwiw, I think that's a good proposal.

Thanks,
Chris

Dirk Pranke

Jun 8, 2021, 4:29:42 PM6/8/21
to Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
I think the basic idea is fine, but the wording ("no longer able to contribute meaningfully in line with the requirements") is a little unclear to me. Would rephrasing this as "no longer meeting the requirements" work?

-- Dirk

Chris Harrelson

Jun 8, 2021, 4:33:28 PM6/8/21
to Dirk Pranke, blink-api-owners-discuss
On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Dirk Pranke <dpr...@chromium.org> wrote:
I think the basic idea is fine, but the wording ("no longer able to contribute meaningfully in line with the requirements") is a little unclear to me. Would rephrasing this as "no longer meeting the requirements" work?

Good point, updated.

Yoav Weiss

Jun 9, 2021, 12:26:54 AM6/9/21
to Chris Harrelson, Dirk Pranke, blink-api-owners-discuss
Document in general LGTM.

I'm not super clear on what a removal may look like.
E.g. one of the requirements is a "Commitment of 1-2 hours per week to review intents, in addition to the API owners meetings".
But I don't think you're suggesting that we remove all semi-active API owners, who don't regularly show up for meetings.

There can be a few scenarios I can see where API ownership can be removed according to the current definition:
  1. Loss of commitment to the Chromium project and its mission - e.g. due to employment change (although an employment change doesn't necessarily imply a loss of commitment)
  2. Inability to commit time to be an active API owner
  3. Demonstrated misunderstanding of the process, or repeated abuse of their power which goes against the principles
For #3 - I'd like for us to be able to remove the API owner status from someone even despite their objections. (to be clear - I've never seen anything coming close to #3 happening, and I don't expect it will. But if we're writing a policy, it should cover edge cases).

For #1, the suggested process makes sense. If someone is no longer committed to the project and its mission they can be removed by other API owners unless they object.

For #2, I don't think we want to automatically retire not-so-active API owners, as it's good to have a "bench" and we have seen such API owners become more active over time, or come in with their judgement in cases that call for it. We may want to retire completely inactive ones (e.g. someone who hasn't reviewed any intents for over a year?). I'm not sure.

Does that make sense to others? If so, it might be worthwhile to be more explicit about such cases.

Chris Harrelson

Jun 9, 2021, 4:30:56 PM6/9/21
to Yoav Weiss, Dirk Pranke, blink-api-owners-discuss
On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 9:26 PM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@google.com> wrote:
Document in general LGTM.

I'm not super clear on what a removal may look like.
E.g. one of the requirements is a "Commitment of 1-2 hours per week to review intents, in addition to the API owners meetings".
But I don't think you're suggesting that we remove all semi-active API owners, who don't regularly show up for meetings.

That's one of the things I'd like us to talk about. Maybe the meeting can be excluded as an ok thing to skip, but what about 1-2 hours commitment? In general I think we need that kind of commitment at least semi-regularly. One reason is fairness to those who might want to become an API owner, and another is that I think we need more *total* hours invested than are currently being invested, to make the process run smoother and reduce load on some of us who are doing extra work.

There can be a few scenarios I can see where API ownership can be removed according to the current definition:
  1. Inability to commit time to be an active API owner
Defining what "active" means is the key here I think. Defining it as "do the work needed to be an API owner in the first place" seems simple, clear, fair and logical. The downside is that it may be too strict, so perhaps we should add words like "persistently fail to..." or similar?
  1. Demonstrated misunderstanding of the process, or repeated abuse of their power which goes against the principles
For #3 - I'd like for us to be able to remove the API owner status from someone even despite their objections. (to be clear - I've never seen anything coming close to #3 happening, and I don't expect it will. But if we're writing a policy, it should cover edge cases).

Agree. But the current definition I am proposing allows for that right?

For #2, I don't think we want to automatically retire not-so-active API owners, as it's good to have a "bench" and we have seen such API owners become more active over time, or come in with their judgement in cases that call for it. We may want to retire completely inactive ones (e.g. someone who hasn't reviewed any intents for over a year?). I'm not sure.

I do think that it's a good idea to raise the possibility of removal to those who aren't regularly contributing, and see what they think. Jochen already weighed in on this thread since he recognized he's one of these cases...

Also, there's the "letter of the law" vs the reality, and any "enforcement" of these rules depends on the other API owners thinking it's for some reason a good time to enforce. My personal plan is that, if we do accept these changes, I think we should review the current cases that might justify removal and discuss with them and as a group.

Yoav Weiss

Jun 10, 2021, 2:54:01 AM6/10/21
On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 10:30 PM Chris Harrelson <chri...@chromium.org> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 9:26 PM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@google.com> wrote:
Document in general LGTM.

I'm not super clear on what a removal may look like.
E.g. one of the requirements is a "Commitment of 1-2 hours per week to review intents, in addition to the API owners meetings".
But I don't think you're suggesting that we remove all semi-active API owners, who don't regularly show up for meetings.

That's one of the things I'd like us to talk about. Maybe the meeting can be excluded as an ok thing to skip

I think it should be, due to TZs if nothing else.

, but what about 1-2 hours commitment? In general I think we need that kind of commitment at least semi-regularly. One reason is fairness to those who might want to become an API owner

That's a good point. It's also hard to measure from the outside, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

, and another is that I think we need more *total* hours invested than are currently being invested, to make the process run smoother and reduce load on some of us who are doing extra work.

Another good point. I'd love to figure out a way to encourage current less-active API owners to invest more here. I'm not sure that the threat of removal is the right way, but let's discuss.

There can be a few scenarios I can see where API ownership can be removed according to the current definition:
  1. Inability to commit time to be an active API owner
Defining what "active" means is the key here I think. Defining it as "do the work needed to be an API owner in the first place" seems simple, clear, fair and logical. The downside is that it may be too strict, so perhaps we should add words like "persistently fail to..." or similar?

Maybe something along the lines of "Persistently fail to commit time to review incoming intents (e.g. reviewed less than X intents in the last Y months)"? (for reasonable values of X and Y)
  1. Demonstrated misunderstanding of the process, or repeated abuse of their power which goes against the principles
For #3 - I'd like for us to be able to remove the API owner status from someone even despite their objections. (to be clear - I've never seen anything coming close to #3 happening, and I don't expect it will. But if we're writing a policy, it should cover edge cases).

Agree. But the current definition I am proposing allows for that right?

The current definition would allow a hypothetical bad-faith owner to formally object to their own removal: "They may be removed after 3 LGTMs among the other API owners... and no formal objection from the API owner to be removed."
I think it'd be better to have a separate path to bad-faith removal (maybe requiring a larger majority among the other API owners), which doesn't allow objections.

For #2, I don't think we want to automatically retire not-so-active API owners, as it's good to have a "bench" and we have seen such API owners become more active over time, or come in with their judgement in cases that call for it. We may want to retire completely inactive ones (e.g. someone who hasn't reviewed any intents for over a year?). I'm not sure.

I do think that it's a good idea to raise the possibility of removal to those who aren't regularly contributing, and see what they think. Jochen already weighed in on this thread since he recognized he's one of these cases...

Agree it makes sense to discuss this with them.

Also, there's the "letter of the law" vs the reality, and any "enforcement" of these rules depends on the other API owners thinking it's for some reason a good time to enforce. My personal plan is that, if we do accept these changes, I think we should review the current cases that might justify removal and discuss with them and as a group.

Makes sense!

Chris Harrelson

Jun 10, 2021, 5:32:42 PM6/10/21
On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 11:54 PM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@google.com> wrote:

[...]

I changed it to "API owners may be removed if they are persistently failing to meet the requirements, or at least review a reasonable number of the incoming intents." ..

  1. Demonstrated misunderstanding of the process, or repeated abuse of their power which goes against the principles
For #3 - I'd like for us to be able to remove the API owner status from someone even despite their objections. (to be clear - I've never seen anything coming close to #3 happening, and I don't expect it will. But if we're writing a policy, it should cover edge cases).

Agree. But the current definition I am proposing allows for that right?

The current definition would allow a hypothetical bad-faith owner to formally object to their own removal: "They may be removed after 3 LGTMs among the other API owners... and no formal objection from the API owner to be removed."
I think it'd be better to have a separate path to bad-faith removal (maybe requiring a larger majority among the other API owners), which doesn't allow objections.

They can formally object, but that triggers the Majority Vote mechanism. I added a sentence clarifying this.

For #2, I don't think we want to automatically retire not-so-active API owners, as it's good to have a "bench" and we have seen such API owners become more active over time, or come in with their judgement in cases that call for it. We may want to retire completely inactive ones (e.g. someone who hasn't reviewed any intents for over a year?). I'm not sure.

I do think that it's a good idea to raise the possibility of removal to those who aren't regularly contributing, and see what they think. Jochen already weighed in on this thread since he recognized he's one of these cases...

Agree it makes sense to discuss this with them.

Philip J. also LGTMed on the doc just now and recognized it'd mean removing him..

Yoav Weiss

Jun 10, 2021, 11:42:06 PM6/10/21
to Chris Harrelson, Dirk Pranke, blink-api-owners-discuss
Document LGTM % a couple of clarification comments.

Mike West

Jun 11, 2021, 1:40:53 AM6/11/21
to Yoav Weiss, Chris Harrelson, Dirk Pranke, blink-api-owners-discuss
I LGTM'd in a comment on the document, but I'll LGTM here as well for posterity: LGTM!

Thanks for putting this together, Chris!

-mike

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Jun 11, 2021, 2:28:23 AM6/11/21
to Mike West, Yoav Weiss, Chris Harrelson, Dirk Pranke, blink-api-owners-discuss
LGTM too.

On 11/06/2021 07:40, Mike West wrote:
> [...]
> <mailto:chri...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Dirk Pranke
> <dpr...@chromium.org
> <mailto:dpr...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>
> I think the basic idea is fine, but the
> wording ("no longer able to contribute
> meaningfully in line with the requirements")
> is a little unclear to me. Would rephrasing
> this as "no longer meeting the requirements"
> work?
>

> Good point, updated.
>

> -- Dirk
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 10:45 AM Jochen
> Eisinger <joc...@chromium.org
> <mailto:joc...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 6:01 PM Chris
> Harrelson <chri...@chromium.org
> <mailto:chri...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>
> This document
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VgpHcqyU_TH32nbPn6n2IThtj1vlGRo_GhLmQf45RyA/edit#>
> has some proposed text to add a few
> formalities, in particular for how
> and when to remove inactive API
> owners, and voting procedures in
> cases of formal objections. A formal
> objection has never happened before,
> but I have concluded it would be
> good to put mechanisms in place.
>
> What do you think?
>
> The biggest change in this document
> may be the conditions for retiring
> existing API owners. As currently
> written, it says:
>
> *"API owners may be removed if they
> are no longer able to contribute
> meaningfully in line with the
> qualifications
> <https://www.chromium.org/blink/blink-api-owners-requirements>."*
>
> which is intended to mean that API
> owners are expected to continue to
> do similar work to that required to
> become an API owner in the first
> place. As currently written, there
> are a few existing API owners who
> might end up being nominated for
> retirement from the group based on
> this definition...
>

> fwiw, I think that's a good proposal.
>

> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> --
> stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to
> blink-api-owners-d...@chromium.org
> <mailto:blink-api-owners-d...@chromium.org>.
> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-api-owners-discuss/CA%2BN6QZu1j2F%3DXdyHX3Y0AuBmgFP_M8s317MeVt_2Vtn8jBMK1Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> receiving emails from it, send an email
> blink-api-owners-d...@chromium.org
> <mailto:blink-api-owners-d...@chromium.org>.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-api-owners-discuss/CALjhuiczSH6FygxAGfWzq51NuqbBiTYNKeXdbnX6mTJhsXYaTA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-api-owners-discuss/CALjhuiczSH6FygxAGfWzq51NuqbBiTYNKeXdbnX6mTJhsXYaTA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> receiving emails from it, send an email to

Chris Harrelson

Jun 11, 2021, 2:52:54 PM6/11/21
to Kent Tamura, Rick Byers, Daniel Bratell, blink-api-owners-discuss
I resolved Yoav's comments.

Since this is kind of a constitutional change, I'd like to get explicit LGTM from all of the existing API owners. Here is the current status, please correct if I misrepresented; ones without LGTM bolded.

(Alex is on vacation right now, I'll wait for him to get back before asking.)

Daniel Bratell

Jun 11, 2021, 3:01:19 PM6/11/21
to Chris Harrelson, Kent Tamura, Rick Byers, blink-api-owners-discuss

LGTM!

Thanks for formalizing this!

/Daniel

TAMURA, Kent

Jun 14, 2021, 12:05:29 AM6/14/21
to Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
LGTM.

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Rick Byers

Jun 15, 2021, 5:12:07 PM6/15/21
to TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
Thanks for driving this Chris, this is important! The doc looks good to me (even if it means I'll get ousted for my engagement level being too low), LGTM!

Rick

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-api-owners-discuss/CAGH7WqE5q5jkQ2VX4x4B%3DK-bOkvOQ2ic9ctKd5%3DJmo9wBdwH9Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Harrelson

Jul 1, 2021, 4:03:36 PM7/1/21
to blink-api-owners-discuss
I updated the document in a few places based on Alex's additional feedback. The changes were:

* A new bullet point in the requirements that reads "The person's organizational affiliations must be compatible with API owners service as regards CLA status"
* A change to require an absolute majority of API owners to remove an API owner (previously was 3 LGTMs, or formal objection plus majority vote)
* Change to 8 weeks notice for removal of an API owner, plus a caveat regarding vacations (previously was one month)
* API owners may self-resign whenever they like, with no notice

All: please review and re-LGTM these changes.

TAMURA, Kent

Jul 2, 2021, 1:34:54 AM7/2/21
to Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Mike West

Jul 2, 2021, 1:40:53 AM7/2/21
to TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Daniel Bratell

Jul 2, 2021, 3:23:55 AM7/2/21
to Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Jul 2, 2021, 3:26:15 AM7/2/21
to Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
LGTM

On 02/07/2021 09:23, Daniel Bratell wrote:
> LGTM
>
> /Daniel
>
> On 2021-07-02 07:40, 'Mike West' via blink-api-owners-discuss wrote:
>> LGTM.
>>
>> -mike
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 7:34 AM TAMURA, Kent <tk...@chromium.org
>> <mailto:tk...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>>
>> LGTM
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 5:03 AM Chris Harrelson
>> <chri...@chromium.org <mailto:chri...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I updated the document in a few places based on Alex's
>> additional feedback. The changes were:
>>
>> * A new bullet point in the requirements
>> <https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/blink/blink-api-owners-requirements>
>>> *brat...@gmail.com <mailto:brat...@gmail.com>*
>>> chri...@chromium.org
>>> <mailto:chri...@chromium.org> LGTM
>>> foo...@chromium.org <mailto:foo...@chromium.org>
>>> LGTM
>>> joc...@chromium.org <mailto:joc...@chromium.org>
>>> LGTM
>>> mk...@chromium.org <mailto:mk...@chromium.org> LGTM
>>> *rby...@chromium.org <mailto:rby...@chromium.org>*
>>> re...@igalia.com <mailto:re...@igalia.com> LGTM
>>> *sligh...@chromium.org
>>> <mailto:sligh...@chromium.org>*
>>> *tk...@chromium.org <mailto:tk...@chromium.org>*
>>> yoav...@chromium.org
>>> <mailto:yoav...@chromium.org> LGTM
>>>
>>> +Kent Tamura <mailto:tk...@chromium.org> +Rick
>>> Byers <mailto:rby...@chromium.org> +Daniel
>>> Bratell <mailto:brat...@gmail.com> LGTY?
>>>
>>> (Alex is on vacation right now, I'll wait for him
>>> to get back before asking.)
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:28 PM Manuel Rego
> [...]

Rick Byers

Jul 2, 2021, 12:44:12 PM7/2/21
to Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
LGTM

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-api-owners-discuss/e07f7c09-de94-11c3-e3db-658c7e52a525%40igalia.com.

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 2, 2021, 1:02:50 PM7/2/21
to Rick Byers, Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Johnny Stenback

Jul 2, 2021, 1:24:13 PM7/2/21
to Jochen Eisinger, Rick Byers, Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Yoav Weiss

Jul 6, 2021, 11:42:49 AM7/6/21
to Johnny Stenback, Jochen Eisinger, Rick Byers, Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Philip Jägenstedt

Jul 22, 2021, 10:31:57 AM7/22/21
to Yoav Weiss, Johnny Stenback, Jochen Eisinger, Rick Byers, Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss

Chris Harrelson

Jul 22, 2021, 12:03:43 PM7/22/21
to Philip Jägenstedt, Yoav Weiss, Johnny Stenback, Jochen Eisinger, Rick Byers, Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, blink-api-owners-discuss
Thanks! The last person who needs to LGTM is Alex, then we're done. :)

Alex Russell

Aug 3, 2021, 3:11:16 PM8/3/21
to blink-api-owners-discuss, Chris Harrelson, Yoav Weiss, Johnny Stenback, Jochen Eisinger, Rick Byers, re...@igalia.com, Daniel Bratell, Mike West, Kent Tamura, blink-api-owners-discuss, Philip Jägenstedt
Apologies for the delay.

LGTM

On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 9:03:43 AM UTC-7 Chris Harrelson wrote:
Thanks! The last person who needs to LGTM is Alex, then we're done. :)

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 7:31 AM Philip Jägenstedt <foo...@chromium.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 5:42 PM 'Yoav Weiss' via blink-api-owners-discuss <blink-api-owners-discuss@chromium.org> wrote:
LGTM

LGTM