File Mozilla standards position even for trivial items?

Rick Byers

Nov 23, 2022, 12:57:49 PM11/23/22
to Martin Thomson, Yoav Weiss, blink-api-owners-discuss
Hey Martin,
Given your comment here, I wanted to get your take on the issue below. It's a tiny addition to an existing spec and a Mozilla engineer has commented on the spec PR that they're happy with it. My guidance was not to bother polluting your standards position repo asking for a position on this - it's not worth anyone's time even to look at it. Instead I thought we should pragmatically approve it with only the unofficial position and so officially "no signals". WDYT?

Any guidance you can provide on how you'd like blink API owners to apply the mozilla standards position process would be welcome.

Thanks,
   Rick

Nov 23, 2022, 7:35:38 PM11/23/22
to Rick Byers, Brian Grinstead, Yoav Weiss, blink-api-owners-discuss
Hey Rick,

There have been a few things recently where we have sort of wondered why there was a request for something so trivial.

However, if you think that it is important enough to require a position from us, then this is the way we would prefer you ask.

As you say, the question is really whether the Blink process should require signals. And I guess how you decide something is trivial enough to qualify. That isn’t easy, I know, but I do tend to agree that small stuff can be done without this sort of overhead.

Rick Byers

Nov 24, 2022, 10:34:13 AM11/24/22
to Martin Thomson, Brian Grinstead, Yoav Weiss, blink-api-owners-discuss
Perfect, thanks Martin. I think when we've asked for signals on something trivial in the past it's just been out of our sincere desire to engage y'all in whatever way you prefer. Your response does a good job of capturing the nuance so we'll try to apply it a bit more pragmatically.

As always, don't hesitate to reach out to any of us (this public list or any of the API owners privately) if you have any suggestions for how we could better engage or otherwise alter our processes to work better for Mozilla.

Thanks,
  Rick